When the stylist came yesterday she suggested decluttering cupboards so that is what I did today. I think we have too many glasses. And too much crockery. How many platters does an antisocial couple need? Mugs anyone? Casserole dishes? Pie plates? What pisses me off is that I dragged all this with us when we moved here 6 years ago.
Himself has one more coat of paint to put on two walls and then the serious painting is done. We will do touch ups as needed, particularly on the white painted woodwork.
Most of the heavy cleaning is done. I will go around just before photos to make sure everything is dust free but this house just oozes dust. At night you can see the dust dancing in beams of light.
I have given stuff away on marketplace. A Horn sewing machine cabinet that went very quickly. A dog kennel that someone was picking up last night and never showed so I relisted. The new recipient came to pick it up but it didn't fit in her car so she will come back tomorrow with her husband's ute. Turns out she lives just up the road from our previous house! An exercise machine thingy that I really hope the dude comes to collect over the weekend. Could I ask for money? Yes. Do I? No. I don't want these things anymore. They have served their purpose with us and someone else can use them. If they sell them on then good on them. I can't be hassled with the whole selling of stuff I have no emotional connection to. I have friends who have stuff cluttering up their homes that they no longer want, need or like but they won't give them away because they are "worth something". I am not that person.
It was a lovely day earlier and now the rain has set in. Someone has lit a fire somewhere (in their fireplace, not just randomly) and the smell of the rain mixed with woodsmoke just says Autumn. My favourite season.

What a sweet note! They grow up so fast.
ReplyDeleteGlad you're seeing the light at th end of the tunnel, on the house!
Happy Weekend!
Donna
The garden still needs a bit of work but I am not overly fussed about it. If that is going to make or break the sale I would be very surprised.
DeleteI love how responsible that little girl is -- especially the point about if you need her!
ReplyDeleteI got rid of many dishes and glasses years ago, and really don't miss them. The recipients were so happy with them! When I don't entertain groups, never cook for more than one or two, I don't need shelves of glasses and serving dishes. It's much easier not to own them. Good for you. I sometimes think that the decluttering that goes with moving might be the best bit!
It is hard to get rid of this sort of stuff as most people have enough and even the op shops are overflowing with them.
DeleteLike you I find I have to go into donating/giving away mode with a set mind, telling myself to remember- it’s surplus, I don’t need it but someone else might (and they might also use it rather than having it sitting somewhere doing nothing).
ReplyDeleteLife is changing so quickly for you at the moment..here’s hoping you don’t fall into a heap at the end. There’s a new way of living waiting for you.
And yes, your little one certainly has a way with words
Falling in a heap is certainly a possibility. Himself is already showing signs of it with niggling health issues surfacing. He has done so much really hard work over the past few weeks. Even when the house is sold we will still be in panic mode as we find somewhere to live and then move. Hopefully we will be so happy living in a lovely place the collapsing in a heap will be quite pleasant!
DeleteI think that's VERY good writing for a six-year old. I especially love the "kind regards" part.
ReplyDeleteI admire your backbone in getting rid of that which no longer serves you.
It's a space thing, Mary. And having cleared out both my parents' and my inlaws' houses I am very mindful of the end result of hoarding. My inlaws' place was a nightmare.
DeleteThat’s an awesome note.
ReplyDeleteThe rains arrived here just as I finished watering the veggies 👿
We did light the fire. But I think we are a tad far for you to smell it.
I de cluttered when we painted, and re decorated
It’s all stayed pretty good. Excellent for maybe the craft room lol 😂
You house always looks and feels so neat and tidy. Including the craft room! I would be a bit concerned if I could smell your fire - it would have to be a bloody big fire.
DeleteI should find this "marketplace" and see if anyone wants an older style huge three piece TV/entertainment cabinet.
ReplyDeleteEnough about me, this is your blog and I hope you do manage to get rid of all the things you don't want to take with you.
Dust is the bane of our lives.
I love the note....where did she get " kind regards" from? A strange ending from a 6 yr old!
ReplyDelete