Wednesday, 1 January 2025

Happy New Year

Two gave me this. I don't know why but he found it very amusing! I could always put it in the front window to let people know if I'm feeling sociable. Although, with the drug house just up the road that's probably not the best idea!


Himself went into town for the 9.30 fireworks. The place was packed! I watched from the front of the house and was underwhelmed. There was a huge police presence which, sadly, was necessary but they did nip trouble in the bud and nothing got out of hand. It happens every year.





Remember my tomatoes? They've grown!! I took this after just watering them so they are a bit droopy still. My mistake was not putting them in large enough pots so I need to water then sometimes three times a day! I'll know for next year. I'm hoping the ones already formed will ripen. I might get some tomato food and see if that helps. 


We went for a walk along the foreshore. I stopped half way and read my book until Himself and the dogs came back. My hips and lower back are tight and walking too far is painful but I am walking a bit further each time.

Chicken with a lemon parmesan crust traybake for dinner. It's a new recipe and looks great. I love anything that can be cooked in one pot/pan. If it can be prepped early even better. I'll let you know what it's like 😀


21 comments:

  1. Last night I watched the London fireworks on my phone screen......they went on for ages and I wondered how much money was going up in smoke! Such a waste!
    The chicken dish sounds great.. Recipe please if it is as good as it sounds.
    Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fireworks just don't hold the imagination the way they used to and yes, a terrible waste of money in such cash strapped times.

      Delete
  2. Happy New Year to you, girlfriend. Is 'Open', equivalent to a red light?
    Today I walked from Commercial Road to Dandenong Road along Chapel Street, in some pain. I stopped to eat a Woolworths sandwich and eventually found somewhere open to buy coffee. I live a good life. No NYE outrages in LE? You've inspired a late night post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was a big walk. I feel your pain. Why aren't coffee shops open on NYD? I would have thought they would do great business after all the partying.

      Delete
  3. I agree with Frances. Simplicity has fled, along with commonsense.
    Happy New Year from this Scrooge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Commonsense and frugality seem to be sadly lacking these days.

      Delete
  4. Happy New Year, and that meal sounds exactly like something I'd love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was and I shall post the recipe later today.

      Delete
  5. Slow and easy on the hip recovery, I suppose. Good advice for many things.
    Happy New Year, Ms. Merlot

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good advice is not always easy to follow! Happy New Year to you, too, dear Mary.

      Delete
  6. Tomatoes DO suck up a ton of water. The "open" sign is a bit perplexing. Yeah, don't put it in your window! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am amazed at how quickly the leaves droop. I am not confident they will ripen and I am not game to repot this late in the piece.
      Happy New Year to you, Dave and Olga.

      Delete
  7. Your tomatoes look great!!! We live and learn with growing in pots. My neighbors are all complaining about property tax increases but they seem to have found money for illegal fireworks all night long. I love your open sign, but I am thinking I would enjoy "closed" more at my house, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We were fortunate to avoid the illegal fireworks although I half expected them from the drug den up the road.
      "Closed" would be far more appropriate here, too!

      Delete
  8. Tomatoes do need huge pots. You also need to prune tomato plants, otherwise they have too many leaves and less fruit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The seedlings were so small when I planted them I thought the pots were almost too big! Now I need to google how to prune tomatoes!

      Delete
  9. LE did have a history of being troublesome at NYE. I'll keep my suggestion about what to do with your 'Open' sign to myself. In theory, you should be overwhelmed with tomatoes this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We get several public order response units come into town for NYE. It was a bit disconcerting at first but now I realise they do keep the peace.
      I fear that my bumper crop will be in theory only - I shall try Pixie's tip to prune them.

      Delete
    2. at this late stage go easy on the pruning.

      Delete
  10. Sounds like you had the better idea for New Years. Watch from the house where you are safe sound and comfy
    That recipe sound lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crowds don't bother Himself. I can imagine few things worse. Home is always the better place to be.

      Delete