Last evening we got a call from the hospital where mother in law is recovering from surgery for her fractured hip. The hip is fine. Her lungs are not. I am guessing they have her on a drip for hydration and pain management but her kidneys are not up to par so she carrying more fluid than she should and it's impacting her lungs. They have given her drugs to get rid of the fluid but they are still concerned. The doctor we spoke to only works on weekends and initially said we should come and visit her. Now we have been explicitly told that only reason allowed for a visit is end of life care. You can imagine our reaction. They were conducting a further chest xray and we would be contacted if the news was grim.
Fast forward to this morning with no further news overnight. The same doctor rang again looking for consent to give her two units of blood. This is not unusual after a fractured hip. Her lungs are still a bit iffy and they will give her a CT scan this afternoon but the xray did show some improvement. We will wait for the treating team to be back on deck tomorrow and we should get a decent update. All things considered we cannot fault the care they are giving a nearly 91 year old woman with dementia. Our public health system is struggling but they are still delivering excellent care. And all in full PPE.
So while we wait we weave! Himself walked the dogs which is as good for him as it is for them. I have some dough proving in the fridge for pizza tonight. Last night was baked potatoes with bacon and cheese and sour cream and spring onion and capsicum and celery and it was yum.
I think February is a really good month to start a diet.
Hush your mouth.

Sometimes our public health system goes wrong but generally it is something we can be very proud of. I'm pleased your MiL is getting such good care. I think my mother might have had better results in a public hospital, say Casey, than at Mulgrave Private.
ReplyDeleteWe sometimes have home made pizza over delivered but we use flat Middle Eastern bread from the supermarket. I probably prefer homemade over bought. I leave the decision to Household Management.
Having worked in public and private I would go public for anything serious. Private for elective surgery - the menus are better! Pizza on flat bread is healthier but I love making the dough and it tastes great.
DeleteI have no idea how to make pizza dough and have never had success with yeast. Maybe time to try again. That weaving looks amazing! I hope your MIL improves.
ReplyDeleteLynda I use dry yeast the specific flour mix for pizza. Normal flour is too soft for yeast doughs. I mix it with the dough hook in my mixer. Easy peasy.
DeleteSounds like your MIL is in good hands. Hope the improvement continues. Not a big pizza eater but I do love it occasionally. Nice piece of weaving!
ReplyDeleteChris, we don't have it that often but it's quick and easy and much nicer than the local pizza shop.
Delete