I can't believe I am getting excited about having Three and his lot over for dinner. It made me realise it has been months and months since we had family over and who knows how long since we had anyone for dinner.
Himself turned the slow cooker on when he got up to the dogs at 7.30. It smells divine and the meat melts in your mouth. We are having mashed spuds which are a specialty of Himself's. Made with cream and butter. Frozen peas (about the cheapest way to buy veg these days!). Sally has hers in a little bowl straight from the freezer. I have bread rolls proofing (proving?) to mop up the gravy. To start with we will have cold meats and cheeses and to finish mini magnums.
I have bought a bottle of moscato for Amy to have so she can drive (3 standard drinks a bottle and she will only have one or two glasses) and some beer for Three. He and I will also share a nice bottle of red. After the week he's had he deserves to be spoiled. He heartily agrees with my plan.
Himself's tidying of my area finally resulted in a massive attack of the irrits. Compounded by the fact that I HATE all our vacuum cleaners (5 at last count) and just want one that bloody works. We have an old stick Dyson which is great for my back but suction ... well, sucks! The others with better suction are a literal pain to drag around. Some of them are so difficult to empty I want to throw them in the bin. How hard can it be?
I will now go and pop the bread rolls in the oven and wait the arrival of our very important guests.
Proving. Cold meats to start and mini Magnums to end sound good.
ReplyDeleteI haven't heard or seen the word irrits for many years. Spell checker does not like it.
Our perhaps eight year old Dyson stick vacuum cleaner was replaced with one of Dyson's latest model...last year or the year before. It sucks well, very little cleaning of the unit needed and is frankly just brilliant. R convinced me to buy a new one rather than replace the battery on our old model, and I am so pleased he did. I just love it, and learnt along the way that you don't need to do a big vacuum. Just a little bit every other day or so.
I need Himself to take a page out of R's book. I agree with a little every day.
DeleteWhen I first arrived here I had no idea what the irrits were. I think it's a word that needs to be brought back into circulation. Not really pissed off but a bit more than mildly ticked off.
I love that word and I'm stealilng it:)
ReplyDeleteIt is very descriptive of a certain mood, that's for sure.
DeleteSet me a place at your table - I'd love to be one of your brood!
ReplyDeleteYou'd be very welcome!
DeleteSounds like the perfect evening.
ReplyDeleteI’m thinking it’s been a long time since I made breqd so I might do that today. Harvested veggies from the back so it will go nicely with the soup I’m thinking of making.
Enjoy your family time
Home made soup and fresh baked bread is the best meal in the world.
Delete