The beef was OK. It wasn't fall off your fork tender but it was very tender and with the mash and peas and gravy made a very acceptable dinner. But I won't be doing it again.
A leg of lamb in the slower cooker on a bed of rosemary - that is really delicious. Like Angela said in the comments, a roast in the oven is the best way but if you are going to be out all day and want to come home to something yummy then I can heartily recommend the leg of lamb.
Tonight we are having home made pizza. Using the flour I used to use and the pizza trays I used to use and I won't be using the pizza setting in the oven so hopefully we will have a warming winter meal.
Tomorrow I will need to bake some more biscuits and plan to make 3 ingredient scones for a treat. I've not done them before. SR flour, cream and lemonade. If they work I might try using soda water and cheese for a savoury version.
The aged aunt from FNQ rang today. The weekend saw the 25th anniversary of her husband's death and she was a bit down. She is very grateful for the handwarmers I sent her. She really suffers with the cold. Imagine what she would be like down here!
Himself has gone to the shed most days this week. He seems to be enjoying the interaction. Long may it last. As long as he stays away from politics he should be OK.
I am now going to have a look at a pattern for crocheted socks and see if I can find a benchtop oven/grill for the aunt. The grill in her 34 year old oven has died and she can't see the point in the expense of a whole new oven when it's just her.
I wish air fares weren't so expensive and it didn't take a whole day to get to her.
It’s certainly getting beyond a joke contemplating air to the far north…..unless you’re going to stay at least a month. We have to budget monthly for our trip. And yes there’s a big range in temps up there, you can usually tell the tourists by the lack of clothing but I walk around rugged up like the locals on cool mornings.
ReplyDeleteThat is part of my dilemma, Cathy. I don't know how much time to spend with her and would love to actually have a holiday while I'm up there.
DeleteHandwarmers in FNQ. Laughing. They are from CWH? Fun to play with. An air fryer perhaps for the aged aunt? Yes, it is a whole day to get to anywhere in Australia by air or any other means. It's only an hour flight to Sydney from Melbourne? No, it nearly takes a day.
ReplyDeleteYes, Andrew! And she has them in the pocket of her fleecy jacket she wears over the woolen spencer and the heavy knitted jumper. The last time we went up there we left home at 06.00 and finally got to the hotel in Forrest Beach around 10 at night.
DeleteLove a lamb leg but never tried it in the slow cooker. Might just do that this week. Any tips? I made scones this week using the whey from my last batch of yogurt (I make it in the Instapot) instead of buttermilk. They turned out fine so I will definitely do that again.
ReplyDeleteChris pop it in on low for many hours. If you can raise it up so it doesn't sit in the juices even better. No need to add liquid.
DeleteOh she wouldn’t be happy here at all
ReplyDeleteI’m used to it and for some reason this year I’m feeling it more and more
Everything is so expensive now good job I’m a homebody and happiest plodding along right here. With the fire definitely going strong
She has been to Melbourne twice - both in November - and cried with the cold each time!
Delete