Tuesday, 28 June 2022

Tuesday bits and pieces

 


It's watery but it is there. And the air is still so if you can find a spot in the sun it's quite pleasant.

Himself went to Bunnings and bought the orange plastic fencing stuff tradies use to keep people away from worksites. He has put it all around the main bit of lawn the dogs have destroyed. I am not saying a word.

We have the Aldi roast in the slow cooker. Third time lucky (we had this in the fridge - we didn't go and buy yet another piece). It has been in there since 7.30 this morning and is still not tender. It will have another 3 or so hours. If it isn't tender after 12 hours - you guessed it - the dogs will eat well again! After all this time I would be expecting it to be falling apart but no, it's still almost brick like. Himself has gone to get spuds for mash and we will give it a go otherwise we will have chicken fillets with mash and peas.

I realised why I like home baked stuff more than bought stuff. It's not as sweet. The cake I made yesterday and sandwiched together with strawberry jam and cream tastes of, well, cake, jam and cream whereas the bought stuff just tastes sweet. Ditto my biscuits. I am going to have a go at making some chocolate icing for my chocolate biscuits. They have to be better for you than tim tams!

It has been 2 weeks since I last left the house. I am still feeling under the weather but nowhere near as crook as I was. Just weak as a kitten. Which is a silly saying cos kittens are anything but weak. If I was truly as weak as a kitten I would be chasing around the house attacking things.


6 comments:

  1. A northerly blew up here this afternoon and it was freezing cold.
    Our Aldi corned beef in the slow cooker was excellent.
    I agree with you about the sweetness of bought food. As I become old and bitter, I like more bitter tastes.
    I hadn't realised you've not been out for two weeks. Wow. That must be fixed. Where was that nice new cafe you mentioned?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should try corned beef. Was the cabbage OK? Does R have a secret way of cooking it?
      Andrew, the thought of a cafe does nothing at the moment. A good wine bar though ...

      Delete
  2. It sounds like an Aldi roast is not a good thing, although I'm sure the dogs aren't complaining.
    Glad you're on the mend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have decided that much as we love Aldi their roasts just don't do it for us! We are slow learners.

      Delete
  3. Glad your feeling a little better. Rest up listen to your body
    I’m wondering if your adding any liquid in the slow cooker. I put scrunched up balls of foil on the bottom some liquid and then the roast sits on top. The liquid kinda acts like a sauna and helps to tenderise the meat But I don’t do roasts in the slow cooker often they’re much nicer in the oven. I’d rather do stews

    ReplyDelete
  4. We normally stew in the slow cooker. I don't add liquid when doing a roast - enough comes out of the meat. Roast in the oven is sooo much better.

    ReplyDelete