Sunday, 3 July 2022

A Sunday Drive

Last of the big spenders, that's us.

We decided to ignore the skyrocketing cost of fuel and go for a drive for a few hours.

It was a perfect day for it , blue skies and sunshine.

We drove down through South Gippsland which is one of my absolute favourite parts of Victoria. I would live there if I could. Especially Poowong. I don't know why but I have always loved the area around Poowong.


Is it not just delightful?


As we drove through Lang Lang I saw kettles hanging off the road sign for Kettles Rd. I didn't have time to stop and take a photo but Mr Google found me this


with this explanation.

Gotta love the Aussie sense of humour.

On the way home I had a hankering for hummus. Himself dropped me off at the new shop just around the corner (his ageing bladder couldn't wait) and I bought a couple of varieties. They were closing up and one of the young girls offered me a quiche and a spinach roll for nothing as they would have been thrown away. I grabbed a couple of vanilla slices for after dinner as well.

Chris asked me what a vanilla slice is. I'm sure they would have something similar in Canada.

This is a vanilla slice



and this explains what's in them.

The important thing is to get the texture of the custard just right. Too sloppy and it's messy to eat and too hard and it's like rubber. And you must be able to taste the vanilla in the custard.

Hummus, roast chicken with spuds and veg and a vanilla slice for afters. The fire is burning and I have a glass of red to hand.

A perfect end to a lovely Sunday.

8 comments:

  1. South Gippsland is not such a popular place to visit, and not for tree changers or sea changers. Let's just keep it that way and the magic of it to ourselves. There is an issue with the kettles if they break the sign, but really! It is fun thing to do and maybe we will take Mother for a drive to see the kettles and spend money in Lang Lang, where my mother's optometrist has her business.

    Your meal sounds nice. I find vanilla slices are always messy to eat, but I do like them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have you been to Loch? I want to check out the gin distillery but it's always closed when we visit. Such a pretty part of the world. Lang Lang has grown so much over the years. Remember when it's sole claim to fame was the Holden proving track?
      I will never eat a vanilla slice in public just in case it's a messy one! Dad loved them. His 90th birthday cake was a huge vanilla slice.

      Delete
  2. A perfect meal! Yes we do have them here at speciality bakers but I've never had a hankering for them. I think they go by a different name.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chris, you must give one a try. Hopefully it will be perfect!

      Delete
  3. I love vanilla slice!!! Yum. Bugger the cost of fuel, life is short... go for the drive :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The good ol snotblock
    Love driving down the highway such pretty vistas

    ReplyDelete