I might have mentioned briefly in passing that Himself has had the occasional issue with the dogs and mud in the back garden.
Apart from the ongoing grass issue we have a large garden bed in the middle which was covered in creeper when we moved in. I ripped out the creeper and planted a variety of bird and butterfly attracting plants, some of which flourished and most didn't. This is the bed that has the flowering gum which the honey eaters love.
Anyway, for a variety of reasons. Well, two. German Shepherd shaped. This bed became a muddy mess with puddles in it. Yesterday after cracking a doozy of a hissy fit the night before, Himself cleared it of all bar the 3 plants that weren't weeds (the gum, a grevillea which may or may not survive being moved and a Kaffir Lime - we are nothing if not eclectic). He then laid some fancy schmansy material that we got from the bloke that asphalted the driveway as weed mat and covered it with black chip mulch. It looks amazing. The downside? The chip mulch is dyed black. When it gets wet the dye leaches out. Potentially onto large german shepherd sized paws. Which will come into the house onto the carpet. Did I say dye? As in permanent? We are hoping that some showers and sunshine will remove any excess and fix what remains.
Happy days!
This afternoon I will collect Scallywag and we will go to the new Coles opened near her school and I will see if I can source some salmon for dinner. Himself will take the kid to dance practice and then home and won't be back til close to 7 so I will have dinner ready for him. For some reason I associate fish with summer (unless it's fish and chips) but Himself loves fish so I will be a good wife and surprise him. I will bake it on a bed of onion, zucchini, capsicum, tomatoes and spuds and will sprinkle it with fresh basil. I have a frozen key lime pie which I will defrost for dessert. After reading Ms Moon's recent post about Key Lime pie I would love to have a go at making my own but for now Aldi's recipe will have to do. It might actually have been that post that planted the seed in my subconscious about having fish, too. Funny how these things work.
Today will be the first day I use the new booster seat we bought at the weekend. I really hope it's idiot proof. I'll take the book of words with me just in case. Himself has installed it so it's secure in my car - I just have to make sure I do the same thing with the kid.
I am starting ever so slowly to feel a bit more human. I still have some lingering issues from the Covid and other bugs but fingers crossed I am on the mend. Finally. No news regarding my ultrasound so that could be another good thing.
Later...
A change of dinner plans. We went to the new supermarket and it was BIG. And very swish and I couldn't find anything and the dogs had been left at home and and and. I found a zucchini but couldn't find the capsicums or the fish but I did find the quiches and the brussels sprouts so that is what we're having for dinner. I went to find the pet mince which I thought would be with the dog lolly dispensers like it is at my Coles but no. What was opposite the dog lolly dispenser was Harry Potter stuff. So someone was very spoilt and came home with Harry Potter stuff that I know her parents can't afford.
The key lime pie will wait until we have fish which may or may not be tomorrow. Enough pastry in one meal!
Mummy must have forgotten it was dance tonight as Sally's hair wasn't in a bun. Granny had 3 boys and couldn't create a bun if her life depended on it. Sally was told to tell the dance teacher that Granny is very sorry her hair is messy but, you know, boys. Although if I had boys now rather than in the '80s I am sure I would be a mean hand at a bun.
Grumpy is off doing the dance run and return home and Granny is sitting down with a glass of red.
Granny is very glad grandchildren can be handed back and cannot understand women over the age of 50 wanting children of their own.
Lol at 'book of words'.
ReplyDeleteThe dye on paws and then on the carpet sounds serious.
Good to hear your health recovery is ongoing.
So far no dye on carpet. The dogs are closely supervised when in the garden.
DeleteI’m so glad my girls were sport mad and not arty because netball in the 1970s only needed hair ‘tied back’ and not coiffed.
ReplyDeleteAfter staying over one Friday night one of the granddaughters expected Grandma to know how to do french braids for her netball game the next morning. Grandma said…..basic plaits are all I know so my gift to you is basic plaits!
Two of my boys danced when very young. I thought I had avoided the sequin nightmare by having boys. More fool me! I think I could manage a basic plait but not sure if that is acceptable in dance circles.
DeleteI was going to say that key lime pie is so easy to make and then I remembered grating the peel off the teeny, tiny limes and juicing them and changed my mind. Limes are also expensive here.
ReplyDeleteWhy did he buy black mulch? Mulch is such a good idea but I like the natural mulch and it the dye doesn't come out:) My neighbor even found free mulch from an arborist which is even better.
Glad you're feeling better and I'm glad I haven't had covid, yet. I hate not having energy.
Ah, Pixie, why does he do a lot of things? We can get free mulch but you're never sure what is in the mulch as far as diseases and bugs go. The black does look good and is quickly fading to grey. Limes aren't too costly when they're in season so I will have a go at a pie I think. I doubt I will find key limes.
DeleteI commend you on being able to "go with the flow" when plans change. I like fish winter and summer - it's so fast and easy to prepare what's not to like!
ReplyDeleteIt took me a long time to like fish. Mainly cos I didn't know how to cook it. I am still not fond of fishy fish but a nice piece of salmon or barramundi makes a lovely dinner. In this household if one can't go with the flow one is doomed!
DeleteI was going to run into that Cole’s today but my iso won’t end till midnight tonight.
ReplyDeleteI’ll have to send hubby tomorrow, while I have Ana go get me some chicken nuggets and sweet potato chips for her lunch. She wants to feed herself now so finger foods are the best
Take it nice and slow. Yes I don’t understand women after fifty wanting their own children. I love my granddaughters but I’m also very glad I get to hand them back to their parents
Enjoy the wine
It was HUUUUGE, Angela. But then I am used to my little Coles in Langy. Finger foods are the best. But then I do love watching littlies eat spag bol - as long as I don't have to clean up the mess.
ReplyDelete