Thursday, 14 July 2022

Thursday thoughts

Yesterday I was listening to the radio and they were talking about a report that states that the (silent) majority of people self censor so that they don't lay themselves open to abuse and criticism from the (vocal) minority.

It got me thinking and I realised that I do avoid certain conversations with certain people because debate and civilised discussion seem a thing of the past. You cannot hold a differing opinion.

There is a type who will shout you down and call you stupid if you disagree with them and their viewpoint. 

There is a type who assumes that you share their political outlook - and it's easier to just stay silent.

I think the past two years of lockdown and isolation combined with the frenzied rhetoric resulting from Trump's administration have contributed to this. (I am still gobsmacked at how much influence he held worldwide - he was a president of another country FFS yet people paid more attention to him than to their own political disasters).

The anonymity of a keyboard and the facelessness of social (oxymoron right there) media allow these cowards to spout their vindictive cruelty.

And I fear it is spilling over into real interactions with real people in real life.

We all need to take a deep breath, take a step back and be a little kinder. To ourselves, our world and everything and everyone in it.


10 comments:

  1. I think people now have come the the conclusion that if you have a different idea or belief you are now enemies
    The idea of having a conversation and allowing others to have their different viewpoint while still maintaining a friendship is somehow and alien concept now days

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is sadly the case, Angela. How many friendships have been lost over a simple difference of opinion?

      Delete
  2. You're right. I can tell you that the 'shutting people down' happens from both sides. I hate it. It has divided my family because some in it believe that if you think differently, you need to keep your mouth shut. The problem is that they rabbit on about their views. They do not see the hypocrisy of their behavior at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The hypocrisy! Yes! My husband and brother cannot be left alone together for exactly this. They are both as bad as the other.

      Delete
  3. It's often just easier to remain silent. What gets me is when cafe owners start spouting political opinions. The risk alienating half of their customers, if not more. There is a lot to be said for the old expression, 'Don't talk politics in polite circles'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And hairdressers! But one should be able to express an opinion without shoving it down throats.

      Delete
  4. Even ….after all these years (at times)…..The Golfer gets all huffy if I show/display different thoughts and attitudes to his. Makes me quite cross actually that he can’t accept I (and others) think differently to him. So yes I keep stumm more often than I’d like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Golfer and Himself seem to be cut from the same cloth. I have mentally kicked myself numerous times for not thinking before I speak.

      Delete
  5. I agree with all you said. I lay low with comments now unless I know people are like minded. We live in a very different world these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to love a good discussion and exchange or views. Not any more.

      Delete