Today is the first day of the last month of Spring not that you would know that by looking at our weather.
Our government treats us like simpletons. We have to have the four seasons divided equally into three months each. This means that the actual weather really doesn't reflect the seasons because, as anyone with an ounce of sense would know when thinking about it, our seasons are more likely to be affected by the earth itself (and the moon and the sun and so one) rather than by some man dictated random counting of days and months. Lordy, we don't all even follow the same calendar on this good planet.
In times past the seasons were marked with things like the equinox and the solstices.
Daylight saving used to cover about 4 or 5 months - typically when the weather was warmer and people wanted to be outside later. A few years ago it was decided that this was too complicated so we get 6 months on and 6 months off. Which means that it starts too early and ends too late. And don't get me started on the states that do have it and those that don't. There is a town on the border between Queensland and New South Wales that has two different time zones during daylight saving time. If you live on one side of the street and work on the other - well you get the idea!
And while I am on this particular rant ... EASTER! Some twat in government decided that Easter - which is held on the first new moon after the spring/autumn equinox and is therefore a moveable feast - should have a non-moveable date. Like the first weekend in whatever.
Moving on.
Today, the first day of the last month of spring (in case you forgot) produced this ...

a really decent downpour or several of hail.
So I spent the day knitting ..
The lyrics. My god the lyrics.



Disturbed version of Sound of Silence is superb. If you get a chance go to YouTube and check out Disturbed live on Conan about six years ago, mind blowing. Yes, way over this weather, no control though. I worked for VRC for 42 years,am enjoying watching coverage on tv rather than working, not that I care for horse racing but I enjoy the event. Marie, Cheltenham
ReplyDeleteI have seen that clip. Apparently the lead singer used to sing in his synagogue - hence his amazing voice control.
DeleteI'll listen to the music in bed later.
ReplyDeleteThe Aboriginal seasonal calendar truly represents our seasons. Well, it did until we whities changed the environment.
I change the clocks at the appropriate time for daylight saving and I don't really care when it begins and ends. I mourn the loss of an hour at changeover time but I love the extra hour when it arrives the following year. The weather turned out to be not quite as bad as forecast here but gee it is very cold for November.
I wish people would listen to traditional land owners (all over the world, not just here) and learn about where we live.
DeleteIt's very cold and squally.
I quite liked the video clip.
DeleteSo I had to look up the Melbourne Cup to see what sport it is! I was thinking track and field, or maybe swimming after that incredible race of Katie Ledecky.
ReplyDeleteAussies love their sports. Anything you can bet on. We are in the middle of the Spring racing carnival with lots of horse races. Tomorrow is Oaks day - traditionally for women, also known as Blokes' day for obvious reasons!
DeleteThat government twat would have a hard time with Ramadam I'm guessing:)
ReplyDeleteHail. It's funny, I never think of other places getting hail. The prairies are well known for getting hail.
The government wouldn't dream of touching anyone else's religion. Too PC for that.
DeleteWe get our fair share of hail. Sometimes the stones are so big they cause incredible damage to property.
Did you know that the Mayan calendar was more accurate than ours? Also, they had a calendar based on Venus's cycle in relation to earth? They were fascinated by Venus and were amazing astronomers.
ReplyDeleteOkay. That's all I got today.
That's fascinating, Ms Moon. I must do some research.
DeleteToday is not better.
ReplyDeleteOtter cold and it’s been raining lots. The sun has just come out but who knows how long it will last.
I didn’t swim. I’m hiding in my den until it’s safe to come out
Give me a few weeks and I'll be complaining about the heat!
DeleteThe ground is wet so it must’ve rained overnight - Grey skies again so I think we’re in for some more☹️
ReplyDeleteThe Golfer reminded me yesterday - when I was complaining about the heater being on in November- there was snow up In Marysville one November.
He was there at a national conference and people from WA had brought clothes to play tennis, never contemplating Victoria’s fickle weather so had no top coat to keep them warm when they wanted to go outside to ‘play’ in something they’d never seen before.
Our front is so sodden you can't walk on the grass without gumboots.
DeleteI remember it snowed in Hobart on Christmas Eve one year.