Monday, 21 November 2022

Done


Today was the last day of the Women in Workshops 6 week sessions. We had a ball. The men were delightful and apart from the odd one or two, I don't think there were any issues with the men. It was organised is such a way that it would not detract from their time in their Shed. Those that wanted to get involved did, and those didn't weren't put out.

The six women leaned so much and the confidence in ourselves blossomed over the 6 weeks. One woman set herself a project to make one thing every week and she did it - with help from the blokes.

We had picture frames, miniature beach boxes and dolls houses, a cheese press, plant holders, spice racks, tool boxes, lazy susans and, off course, a bread bin.

This shows the bread cutting board slid out of the bin. It just needs to be oiled. I shall use vegetable oil so it's not overpowering with smell or taste. It was made using a hard wood so the knives won't scratch it as badly as they would with pine.



This was taken at the shed just as I'd finished putting the handle on.


And these show it in it's gorgeous honey coloured glory. I need to let it rest for a day or so and then add another coat of beeswax. I love the shine on the front. It is flawed. Oh, it is flawed! But every little thing is a learning thing. Every time I look at it I will smile at the happy memories of making it and with pride of having done it.




This is the plant holder one of the women made. It will hang on a fence. The triangles will hang in a tree with a plant pot in the hole.

The only downside was standing for long periods which really buggered my back. I must take this into consideration when I do any future courses.

Tomorrow I have a 2 hour workshop on making things using resin. 

Right now it's time to set up the scrabble, pour a gin and get the towels ready as Himself has taken the dogs for a walk and it's just started piddling down.

16 comments:

  1. It’s “flaws” are what makes it beautiful and unique. Great work. Be proud

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Angela. It was certainly a learning experience.

      Delete
  2. You are very lucky to have a Men’s Shed willing to take women on. Most would run a mile from such a commitment. The ones round this way would be in the latter mindset.
    It’s a really good looking piece of work. Are there no disabled work spaces at all….maybe make a quiet suggestion - men are disabled as well (or would that rock the boat a bit too much)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The standing was mentioned at the feedback session at the end and will be addressed. I think the blokes move around more where we tended to stand at the same bench for the whole session.
      It took a lot of gentle negotiating to get the members to agree. They made sure our sessions were outside normal Shed hours. The woman who organised it has 4 sheds on board.

      Delete
  3. That's a box to be proud of!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely! And you should be proud. You make the bread and you have now made the bin where the bread will live. Excellent!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And the bread will taste all the better for having a happy home.

      Delete
  5. Well done and it comes with it's own cutting board, what an excellent idea! Flaws mean it's made by hand, same as with quilts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly, Pixie. I didn't want it to look shop bought.

      Delete
  6. Hi your bread board looks great! don't use vegetable oil on it, it turns rancid...my husband ordered some Cutting Board Oil, food grade mineral oil online....Peta

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for that info, Peta. I shall search for food grade oil. Good tip.

      Delete
  7. I'm very impressed - good work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have plans but this may end up being a on off!

      Delete
  8. Love your bread bin and the board.....fantastic. Rock rock girl.

    ReplyDelete