I am an atheist, as I have mentioned before. I was brought up Anglican (Easter and Christmas - you know the sort). I went through a couple of intensely religious phases in my teens - as you do - so I do know the bible. Which is probably one of the reasons I am now an atheist.
I respect all religions. I respect your right to follow your own faith and practice your beliefs as long as you don't harm others.
AS. LONG. AS. YOU. DON'T. HARM. OTHERS.
Nothing makes my blood boil more than religion being used as an excuse for oppression and cruelty. My heart bled when the Taliban took back Afghanistan. My heart bleeds for those who suffer in the name of religious extremes regardless of the brand. There are some pretty awful stories among all faiths. Hard-line Christians aren't exactly full of Christ's love when it comes to certain members of society. In fact hard-liners of any description are not the kindest of people when dealing with anyone different or who expresses a different version of life.
The recent death of Mahsa Amini has been in the news. Her death was another example of persecution and oppression, in this instance in the name of religion disguised as government.
Rightly so, people around the world are voicing their outrage. Steve Reed posted about some interesting graffiti on his blog. Go and have a read. It's inspiring.
And then there is this family putting it all so well and to music to boot ...
All told, religion has been responsible for more persecution and death than all of the headline political oppressors put together, despite almost all of them professing peace and tolerance.
ReplyDeleteThis is so true, Will, and yet people are still blinded by their faith.
DeleteReligion is the excuse used to abuse and control others. Makes me sick
ReplyDeleteAnd has been since time began. Or at least since humans started to question stuff and some nonce thought it would be a good way to control the masses.
DeleteVery nicely put. I haven't watched the clip yet, but I am sure it will be spot on as have their other clips you have posted from the family. It is strange how all religions preach love and kindness, yet so many are killed in the name of religion. Where I live in City of Port Phillip, only 38% are religious believers and our local area has not changed to being a violent and awful place to live. I welcome this and human kindness is still in abundance.
ReplyDeleteYou live in a good melting pot. Suburbs where one religion/ethnicity/migrant population dominates concern me.
DeleteI was brought up in a religious household and haven't practiced for decades once I realized that organized religion is a boys club. They all impose rules and restrictions on women and favor men. I doubt any creator would do that. They're just male dominance in fancy outfits.
ReplyDeleteSo true. And even when they say they are doing things for the women - it's to stop the men from being tempted or worse.
DeleteI am constantly baffled at how people can accept the ridiculousness of religions. Ugh. It makes me ill. And Boud is so right- most of them are nothing more than patriarchal control systems which damage not only women but men too. Oh, I could go on and often do in my blog.
ReplyDeleteLovely clip. Absolutely.
Anything that give you an excuse to behave like a monster will always be embraced.
DeleteWhat I find interesting about the Bible in particular, is that it is god's word, spoken only to men, although that's probably true of all religious texts. Smells like bullshit.
ReplyDeleteEither all religious texts are true or none of them are, you can't just pick and choose which one is right. I believe in the divine which is more nebulous but more satisfying, the ability to be good and do right, to be kind and love one another (at least in my mind).
As for people doing cruel, horrible things, they use religion as an excuse for their deeds.
New Testament, was written predominantly by Paul. One of the biggest misogynists to walk the earth. Not the word of god. The word of Paul. The rest of the bible was written by many men over centuries. It is a good historical document but that's about it.
DeleteI don't care what people believe in but I do care when elements of all religions use it a reason to be sadistic, cruel, divide families begin wars ,paedophilic , use donations to build up empires.. and of course knock on front doors of residences .
ReplyDeleteOh, the door knocking! They are one of the biggest divider of families, too. Children misbehaving? Beat the devil out of them. Want more land? Let's convert the heathens and use their land.
DeleteSometimes I wonder what bible 'Christians' have been reading. Certainly not the one where Jesus says the greatest commandment is to love.
ReplyDeleteThey pick and choose
Delete