An unsettled day both in the weather and my mood. I think the two are very much related today.
I baked some burnt butter chocolate chip cookies (biscuits) I found on a blog. (I had to go looking as I couldn't remember which one! It was here.) I found them a bit too sweet but might give the concept another go and tweak things a bit. You brown the butter and then let it come back to room temperature texture in the fridge so it adds a nuttiness to the biscuit but, as I said, a lot of sugar and 400gms of chocolate chips (recipe called for 360 - 480 gms so I settled for 400 which was two packets). I am glad they are too sweet for me - it means I won't be tempted as they are deliciously chewy on the inside and crisp on the outside.
Himself wants to remove the wooden palings from the decking surround and replace them with marine grade wire. We had this in our previous place. It will open the area up a bit and the dogs can't chew it! He will do it himself, of course, so has gone to check out somewhere that does metal fixings.
Last night when he was out the dishwasher started leaking. In the past I would have turned it off and waited for him to come home. The little bit I have done with women in workshops gave me the confidence to do a bit of trouble shooting and investigation. The kick plate under the kitchen bench isn't fixed so I took it out and couldn't see an actual source of water. I did notice that when I opened the dishwasher door to turn it off (it's integrated so the controls are inside the door) a saucepan handle was hard up against the door. I moved it and shut the door and cleaned up the water. After not finding an obvious leak I restarted the dishwasher with towels handy. Ta daa! I had found and fixed the problem. All without the inevitable wailing and gnashing of teeth had I waited for him to come home and over-react!
This is one of my favourite photos. It is of Two and me on his wedding day. I was so proud of him and happy for them both. His photographer got some great candid shots that day.
The Remembrance Day photo is both apt and poignant.
ReplyDeleteFinally, a recipe for me. I can burn butter like an expert.
Well done with dishwasher problem solving but who placed the handle there? In my experience, only men can properly stack a dishwasher. I'll qualify that with my partner can't.
In my experience sons and mothers both cry at wedding as the son cuts an invisible tie to his mum and he is no longer hers alone. It is my nephew's anniversary today. It was the best wedding I have been to, and so it should be as his wife is an event planner.
Another post that went to spam dammit.
DeleteA son is your son til he takes him a wife.
Good for you on tackling the dishwasher yourself! It's surprising how often the solution is a simple one when you keep calm and observe! It's also more peaceful in the home.
ReplyDeleteI do not understand the need for over the top reactions to the inevitable stuff life throws at us. Just breathe and get on with it!
DeleteIt is good to have the confidence to seek out solutions on our own and what a nice sense of accomplishment when we do!
ReplyDeleteI love that picture. Those hands!
As the son with whom I have had the prickliest relationship those hands make my heart sing.
DeleteThat's a lovely photo and well done trouble shooting the problem. In my previous life I was married to a pilot who was never home so I learned to do a lot by myself. My present husband is not overly handy, except when it comes to electrical.
ReplyDeleteI'll have to try brown butter chocolate chip cookies, they sounds good. I love the flavour of brown butter.
The flavour is subtle but oh so good.
DeleteI like to fix things myself if I can... I have several 'nicknames'. My grandkids know that if anything is broken then Nana will fix it. I think it comes from the years I was a single mother so had to do it all. It was hard to relinquish some of that when I met Stu but I do enjoy having a man to do the jobs I can't do! That's a lovely candid shot, I think the candid photos are the best.
ReplyDeleteI guess having lived with this bloke since I was 18 I have not really learned how to do stuff. That is now changing - not without a bit of gentle pushback but he will learn.
DeleteTHat is a lovely photo! And well done you on fixing the leak.
ReplyDeleteIt was a beautiful wedding and the photographer captured it perfectly.
DeleteWell done on the troubleshooting
ReplyDeleteBecause hubby was always working during the early days of our marriage I became very self sufficient in trouble shooting and fixing small emergencies. I was really good at rewiring those old ceramic electric thingies in the meter box.
It’s good to be able to just check things out yourself. Even if you find you can’t fix it, it’s still a bonus especially if you have to call a tradie.
I am learning the satisfaction of trouble shooting. Even if I can't fix it I can tell him what to do. Or not!
DeleteJust so!
DeleteThat hug is good. When they grow up enough to start giving hugs again.
Hi via Fresca's blog