Wednesday, 30 November 2022

Sleep

I think I was a bit more than knackered last night. I didn't feel 100% but not enough to do a RAT or really worry. I sat up late watching Merlin (a TV show from over 10 years ago that is on Netflix but about to be pulled so I want to watch them all) and then went to bed and read for a bit. I didn't wake up until 11.15!! And it was genuine sleep not lying there with my eyes closed summoning the courage to get up.

It is now mid afternoon and I have done nothing but faff around on the computer. I have too much stuff I HAVE to read! I think I need to get rid of facebook. I don't do much on facebook but the socks. Oh my goodness all those socks. And that leads to checking out Ravelry and down another rabbit hole I go.

A few bloggers have mentioned Christmas baking. Something I have never really done but I am now hankering to try my hand at a home made Christmas cake. I have left it too late to really let it cure but I will see if I can find a nice boozy recipe for a rich dark cake. I might even give shortbread a go - I have many recipes for shortbread but it is so delicious and buttery it never lasts long in this house.

Speaking of baking, this popped up in my facebook memories today. My dear old dad the day after Mum's funeral. We took him to the park behind the aged care facility they lived in and he sat there watching model aeroplanes flying whilst eating goodies that Amy had baked. He loved a sweet treat, did Dad. Him, I do miss even though we weren't that close - again a generational thing. He was a very clever man and a true gentle man. He was 95 in this photo and died 5 months later.




15 comments:

  1. I am surprised you have never made a Christmas cake. We did for years but it was too much after Christmas pudding. One year I made a heap of very small Christmas cakes and gave them out to very unappreciative family and friends. Last year our Hairdresser Friend and R got together and with a few drinks jointly made Christmas cakes. No mention of a repeat this year. Sister has taken over from Mother to make Christmas pudding and she does an ok job, in spite of complaining she can't let it be unattended and has to stay home.

    I expect some father cleverness rubbed off to at least one of his children. 95 is quite some age.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mother used to do the Christmas baking. I would buy a Lions cake but the kids didn't like any of that Christmas stuff.
      Both my brothers are very clever. I am just happy he was proud of me - not that he ever told me! He told my brothers who told me.

      Delete
    2. That's nice that your dad is proud of you. I expect well deserved. People in those olden days didn't express themselves much about their feelings.

      Delete
  2. I am so glad you had a lovely father! I never had one and I so often wonder what I would have been like if I'd had that loving, primal figure in my life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was hardly a loving primal figure. More distant Victorian but he was gentle and kind.

      Delete
  3. Nothing wrong with a good lie in. That's a lovely photo of your dad. His sweater reminded me of my own dad who was always wearing a sweater that mum used to knit for him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How lovely you noticed the sweater. My mother had someone knit it for him. She could no longer see to knit.

      Delete
  4. Glad you caught up on some sleep. Shortbread, mmmm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. mmmmmmm, indeed! My favourite Christmas treat. All year round!

      Delete
  5. It sounds as if your body gave you a stern message about getting sleep right away. Your father looked amazing for that age. Some great genes in your line.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Every so often my body yells at me.
      His mother was 99 when she died and his brother will be100 next year and is still living on his own and possesses all his marbles.

      Delete
  6. Boiled fruit cake does the trick use more alcohol of choice.than other liquid…. And if soggy makes a great Christmas pudding . Alternatively once cooked mix it through vanilla ice cream put in freezer and serve a# Christmas ice cream cake


    ReplyDelete
  7. It must be the day for it. I’ve just been outside sitting in front of the fire crocheting with the audiobook going. It almost feels like I’ve been on holiday. We are just over worked and under pressure. Relax and enjoy the rest I say

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even though I have done nothing towards Christmas and plan to do very little I think it's the time of year.

      Delete