Tuesday, 22 November 2022

Use by or best before

I'm not sure if other countries have this but in Australia any food that is packaged must have either a use by date or a best before date. The former is used for foods that will perish and could become harmful. Think animal proteins, dairy products and the like. Best before is a guide. So you can buy an iceberg lettuce and keep it as long as you see fit - Himself can make them last up to three weeks still crispy. If you buy said lettuce prepackaged (why would you) then there has to be a date on the packaging. This link explains it better than I have. Whilst is says that foods with a longer than 2 year shelf life don't have to have these dates on them, I have found many that do.

I wonder how much perfectly good food gets tossed because it is past its best before date.

Our local new whizz bang deli obviously got a bit excited and bought a truckload of South Cape Brie cheese.

It has a best before date of 16th October. Anyone who knows soft cheese knows that they improve with age (within reason, of course). The deli is selling these beauties for $3.99 each, 3 for $10 or a box of 6 for $12.00. We are on our third box of 6!

Yesterday I had the crumpets that Three made. What do you have with crumpets? Honey of course.

I am very particular with my honey. I refuse to buy a particular brand because it is rumoured they add Chinese honey to their Australian brand. I buy Beechworth Bee Cause honey because it is a) locally grown and b) supports the ongoing health of the Australian bee keeping industry. And c) it's bloody good honey! As I was drizzling the delicious gooeyness onto my crumpets I noticed it had a best before date of 2014. Considering edible honey has been found in archaeological digs going back thousands of years, I find a 2 year expiry date a bit disconcerting! Obviously if you contaminate your honey it may go mouldy - or the contaminant might. Honey can crystalise and grow cloudy if the conditions aren't the best but I have never heard of honey, pure honey, ever going off in the container it was sold in.

How many foods have these silly best before dates and how much ends up in landfill or down the drain. Manufacturers must be rubbing their hands with glee at all the extra products they can sell with this legislation.

17 comments:

  1. Close to ‘use bys’ often go into my freezer - to be used later. As you mentioned ‘best befores”’ are easily ignored. ‘Expired’ crackers go into soups for a start

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And NQR would go out of business if these were adhered to 😊

      Delete
    2. A shame that we no longer rely on taste, smell and texture. We have become so dependent on the nanny governments. NQR is a delight. So many bargains.

      Delete
  2. They have to do that to cover their bottom line I think. In case something happens.
    I don’t eat honey. Never liked it.
    I go by the rule if it smells and looks ok. Then it’s ok

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have "best by" dates here in the States as well...I don't pay too much attention though. Depends on the product.
    Your honey should be just fine.
    hughugs
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think those labels are meant to sell more product, nothing much to do with customer safety. People are nervous about food and can be pushed into replacing perfectly useable items. As you say, honey is practically immortal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So, so true. And the fear of being sued by our ever increasing litigious society who won't take personal responsibility for anything. But that's another topic althogether!

      Delete
  5. Sometimes people check the sell-by dates on things like milk in the refrigerated cases at the store to determine which is freshest. Which I understand as milk does go bad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As do I but a "packed on" date would work as well.

      Delete
  6. Tinned stuffs, for example, last for years I'm sure. On the other hand it is rather annoying when people give out-of-date food to us at Zac's or to foodbanks. While some of it probably is okay we can't really give it to people - although us volunteers may take it home and use it - but it's the principle that people think it's okay to get rid of stuff they won't use. After Christmas we always get donations of things from hampers that no-on ever uses, like tinned caviar!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would never have to donate tinned caviar but what a strange thing to give to a foodbank!

      Delete
  7. I use my nose more than the best before dates. I'm guessing the best before dates are partly to sell more and partly to cover their asses should anybody get sick eating their product.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly, Pixie. As I said - we are eating cheese which is well beyond its best before and it is just getting better and better.

      Delete
  8. I mostly adhere to the "best before" dates with meat and milk/cream. I often eat cheese that is well past its expiry date.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If the milk/cream smells ok I will use it. Meat and chicken are the same but perhaps with a bit less leeway. Even a quick touch to the tongue with a finger will tell you if it's on the way out.

      Delete