Yesterday I did the two (and a bit) hour resin art workshop. It cost us $150 each and we made two things each. Considering the cost of the raw ingredients and the knowledge of the teacher I think it was good value. I don't know that I could invest that every week as many do, but I guess if you want to do this as a hobby it could be cheaper than investing in a helluva lot of equipment. It is NOT an environmentally friendly practice, that is for sure. Nothing is reusable. The plastic/paper cups you mix the resin in, the sticks you use to mix it, the plastic cloths you need to cover every single surface - that stuff is sticky. And the resin and the colours you mix in aren't cheap.
Anyway, we had a great time and these are what I made. The top is a trinket dish about 20cm long and the bottom is a cheese board. They should be properly cured in a few days and I can pick them up.

Another craft that seemed like witchcraft but now that I know how to do the basics I am happy. Ticked off my bucket list. If you wanted to make a lot of stuff to sell at craft markets and could get a decent return it might be a reasonable idea as the basic stuff doesn't take long at all. The teacher had some amazing work which would have taken a long time as she built up the layers of resin. You would need a dedicated space, though, which couldn't be harmed with spillages.
It was chilly again today but we didn't get any significant rain. Himself has buggered his back and went to the physio. He came home all taped up. Tomorrow he starts his prep for a colonoscopy on Friday. The hospital he is having it done at is a good hour and a bit drive from here and then I will have to hang around until god only know what time as he is last on the pm list.
Fish and chips tonight - his last proper meal for a couple of days.

I love the chopping board. The prep for the colonoscopy is the worst part of that whole ordeal I hope hubby gets a clean bill of health
ReplyDeleteThere is always a concern as his brother died from bowel cancer. I, too, like the chopping board. The dish is a bit meh but that is what we were given.
DeleteAnd my husband is off as we speak right now to get an MRI to find out what's wrong with his knee. Life doesn't get easier as we age, does it?
ReplyDeleteI do not even know what resin art is. Okay. I just looked it up. Now I understand. Sort of.
I hope Mr Moon gets a good result from his MRI. Ageing has whiskers on it.
DeleteThe old art teacher in me can't resist saying resin is deadly dangerous to the artist. The very occasional use probably not so bad, but it's been related to brain cancer in four different artist friends who used it freely, not realizing. I banned it from my teaching studios. Along with spray glue, another story there!
ReplyDeleteYour output is very nice. I like the idea of a cheese board.
I must say, Liz, I was concerned with the fumes in the place. The teacher has a lot of health issues (as does her husband). Are they related, one wonders?
DeleteColonoscopies are such a pain in the ass, there I said it! Poor man. Hopefully it goes well. I find the prep worse that the procedure myself.
ReplyDeleteAs for resin, I'll give it a pass. It looks beautiful but doesn't sound safe. The cheese board is beautiful though.
Thank you, Pixie. Someone had to say it!
DeleteI have only had one and the prep wasn't fun but not as bad as I had expected.
I am glad I did the resin but it won't become a regular thing. Too many negatives.
I have never had a colonoscopy and hope I never have to! Your new craft is quite exciting. Enjoy!
ReplyDeleteOur government sends everyone over the age of 50 regular kits to get their poo checked for blood so there is less need for colonoscopies unless you get a positive result. Himself has had a long history of issues in that department and his brother's death only heightens the need for regular checks.
DeletePretty colours in the resin. I hope Himself is ok. Not a nice prep I believe.
ReplyDeleteA good book and some gentle wipes.
DeleteThat’s a craft that’s never appealed to me - same as pottery. All that messing around and you still have to wait/ can’t see the finished piece until later.
ReplyDeleteI used it admit day patients for those procedures- way back when the prep really was obnoxious. Vowed I’d never have to take it - hoped like hell I’d never have to take it. So far so good!
It is far more palatable now but still not what one would choose to drink!
Delete