We were meant to have Sally today but Alice is sick so Three stayed home and Sally thought she might be getting sick, too, so she stayed with him. Which is fine. She would have missed her dad over the weekend.
We went to Bunnings and I bought 18 little pansy like pots. They have a scent - a bit like wallflowers. I will take a photo when we have finished tarting up the deck and show you what I have done with them.
I then pruned the roses. Never again!! I do love my roses but the last couple of wet summers has not been kind to them. I wouldn't be surprised if a couple don't come back next year. Won't be my problem. I will probably have a couple in Lakes but not the massive rose bed I have here. Everything down there will be low maintenance and enjoyable.
I then came in and cleared out my desk so we can put it on the junk pile. It was a cheap thing to start with and I got it second hand for $40. The fake leather top is peeling, the wood is chipped, the roller door doesn't work. I doubt I could give it away. It will go with the rocking chair that has had its rockers chewed away by puppies. Again, it was cheap on market place and wasn't good quality to begin with. I don't like tossing stuff but sometimes there is no other option.
Himself has been painting the timber work on the windows and doors that look out onto the deck. Hopefully he will come inside tomorrow and continue painting in here and I will take over the external stuff.
I need to get some packing boxes so I can start putting stuff away. You know, the stuff that has sentimental value but won't help sell a house. I can see another op shop drop off in my near future! We used to wrap fragile things in newspaper but no-one reads newspapers anymore! I have no idea what I will use. I might see if anyone has some on the local facebook group.
At the moment I cannot see how we have a snowball's hope in hell of getting this place ready for sale but I know we will manage. It's just that we are getting older and everything is just that little bit harder.
I am telling myself that the next 3 months will be the hardest and then we can relax and finally enjoy ourselves.
I buy a newspaper every day to do the puzzles and skim the headlines, so at the end of every week there's a big pile going into the recycle bin. Put a request of facebook for anyone in your area that can bring you some newspapers.
ReplyDeleteThat was me before we moved here.
DeleteOr contact one of the pack and move companies, the ones who send a team of packers the day before the truck arrives, maybe they can supply you a pack of their white "butcher" paper.
ReplyDeleteI have asked the local group. We will be moving with a company but I prefer newspaper to the butchers paper. It seems to scrunch better!
DeleteTry the newsagents. The throw away unsold newspapers. If you ask them to keep them for you I’m sure they will
ReplyDeleteI thought they had to return unused papers to the supplier. Worth a try.
DeleteI have a few items that could be booted out to the curb, as well. Hope you get things organized the way you want it. The older you get, the harder it is to do things.
ReplyDeletehugs
Donna
Nothing is coming with us that we don't really want and love!
DeleteWe had some old precious china once and the newspaper ink stained the pieces when they were wrapped. Newer fully glazed china is probably ok.
ReplyDeleteBut your problem stands. What to wrap with? I really don't know.
I could use bubble wrap but it's expensive and plastic. I guess I'll do what River suggested and contact a removalist.
DeleteI'm always at a loss these days for a newspaper substitute. I get a local freebie mailed about once a quarter and that's it for newspapers around here. I used to use them freely, now it's a luxury item! Your house will look great, once you get it done. A lot of work there.
ReplyDeleteWe don't even get the local freebie anymore.
DeleteWe get a newspaper, not sure why, only ads. Trying to decide what to keep or get rid of is always a problem for me, as I hate throwing anything away. You will be having a busy period
ReplyDeleteHaving cleaned out both my parents and inlaws places I am very mindful of leaving stuff for my kids to clear out.
Deletethecontemplativecat here. We moved 7 years ago, from our home of 27 years. 3 kids grew up, then went to college, and then moved away. We had so much of their stuff. Moving is a draining experience.
ReplyDeleteWe have only been here for 6 years but still managed to accumulate stuff!
Delete