Sunday, 9 April 2023

Destashing - it's a craft thing!

When you decide to go through your yarn and work out what to keep and what to sell/give away.
At least he had the sense to go into the "keep" box!



There is also a bag of stuff to toss, two bags for the op shop and a bag to give to Alice's day care for craft. I still have heaps to sort through. I think I might have a yarn compulsion.

I am unlikely to do any serious sewing again so need to get rid of a whole lot of fabric and patterns as well as my old Horn sewing cabinet. From the days I had a fabric compulsion.

Himself has finished painting the two spare bedrooms. They look much lighter and brighter and I am pretty sure with a bit of careful placement of pictures I can make the curtains blend in so one less thing to buy.

The chap we are dealing with in these initial stages of the house knows a dude who owns a company that handles financing. He and Himself had a chat this morning and we have more options. Now we need to work out whether it is cheaper to borrow, stay here til the house is built and sell just prior or sell sooner and rent. We also need to get a feel from the agent whether he thinks the market will go up or down. 

The upside of staying is only one move. The downside is keeping this place pristine once we have finished the tarting up which will be in a month or so.

I did my bit today and began painting the railings on the deck.

Then it started to rain, right on wine o'clock!

I wish I had a tape recorder in my brain. I had some great ideas for blog posts while I was painting. Sat down here and "poof" - gone! So you get house stuff.

On the pumpkin front - Maude looks like she isn't going to get any bigger which is good as there are only two of us! 5 or 6 others will be good to go soon (skin getting knobbly and tough - like me) but I have many that will only get to about the size of a grapefruit. I wonder if I can use an immature pumpkin for something.

Just remembered - Happy Easter to those who celebrate. I wonder how many kids out there think this is a long weekend for camping and eating chocolate.

11 comments:

  1. In the little house on the prairie books the mummy used unripe pumpkin to make a pie and it tasted like apple. Try looking in Pinterest I’m sure it will be there. I could throw out my craft stuff. I just couldn’t

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not throwing it out - I am sharing the love!

      Delete
  2. There's some very nice yarn and furry fellers in those boxes..lots of luck with winnowing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even though I promise myself to only buy yarn for a project I get sucked in by the pretty squishies. Fortunately Max wasn't interested in playing with the yarn - unlike Minnie who had to be forcibly removed and given her own ball to play with.

      Delete
  3. A happy chocolate day to you too.
    I could of course Google it but what is a Horn sewing cabinet?
    Lol at an opinion from a real estate agent about markets going up or down. Of course you are in a rising market as told by the agent until you sell when the agent will tell you the market is 'difficult' and you need to 'lower your expectations'. Crooks, thieves, liars and charlatans. Never ever trust what a real estate agent tells you.

    I expect it not so different for the 'dude' who Himself chatted with. Real estate and financing, stay very cynical. They are all out to rip you off as much as they can.

    My opinion is don't make two moves. Moving once is hard enough.

    I will think of three absolutely brilliant blog post a day, and forget them all. At times a write a few words online to remind myself, but that is not enough for me to remember. Perhaps notepaper and pen would be better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Horn is the brand. It is a cabinet designed to store a sewing machine with drawers for bits and bobs and then you open it up and the machine rises to the top and locks in and away you go. They were a big thing back in the day.
      I agree - one move would be ideal but we shall see. As for real estate agents you have to keep your cynical hat on at all times.

      Delete
  4. So many things to sort out, yarn, crafty stuff, sewing and fabric, move, rent, stay, I hope you stay sane through the whole process. The wine sure helps, have another.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep reminding myself to break it all down into easy managed chunks or I would be running around in circles with my apron over my head.

      Delete
  5. I can't give you advice, exactly, but if it were me I think I'd want to stay in my own house until the new one is ready. Why spend money on rent, and pay moving costs twice? (And maybe storage in between!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly, Steve. But the alternative might have more pros than cons. Like being able to keep an eye on the build for one and getting to know the community.

      Delete
  6. No idea for the immature pumpkins, maybe soup? I love the look of all that yarn, but I can't crochet and no longer knit, so I hope it all finds a happy home somewhere. Imagine all the space you'll have in your new home when you don't have all that yarn and the sewing cabinet.

    ReplyDelete