Tuesday, 18 April 2023

Enough already

Over the weekend I was sure I could hear water. It was raining constantly so I hoped it was that. It wasn't. It sounded as if it was coming from behind the fridge which is plumbed in.

I didn't say anything to Himself as I knew he would stress and there was nothing he could do from Queensland.

On Sunday evening he took the loo apart in our ensuite thinking it was that. It wasn't. We turned the water off at the mains and the noise stopped. When we turned it back on there was slight movement in the meter suggestion whatever it was, it wasn't gushing somewhere.

Yesterday morning we looked at every possibility. The fridge, the other loos, the dishwasher. He even crawled under the house and tracked the pipe from where it comes in all the to the back of the house. Nothing.

In the end I said we would just have to suck it up and get a plumber. The big worry was that there would be a leak in the pipe from the meter to the house which would involve digging up the front garden to find it as well as costing a bucket of money.

He rang a mate from the shed and got the number of a plumber who said he would be over as soon as he could.

I decided to take the dogs for a walk. It was that sort of morning!

As I was about to leave I heard my name bellowed.

"Go and see if you can hear it", he said. I went inside and ... silence.

It turns out the downstairs garden tap has a dodgy washer but he couldn't dismantle the tap to replace it so he had connected a hose so it would trickle away.

The noise of that trickle reverberated all through the pipes in the house. 

The plumber was very gracious when Himself rang to cancel.



Amy made Alice some bell-bottoms.



Isn't she the cutest?


The agent rang me today to say we have gone unconditional with the sale of the land. He sent me a photo of the for sale sign with the SOLD sticker on it.

Today I cleaned the skirting boards and the doors in the hallway and did most of the skirting boards in our bedroom. I then cleaned the paint from the windows Himself has painted so that is another painting job done. Now he just has to finish the hallway, the front room and the study. When I was cleaning in our bedroom I discovered that the cats have destroyed a curtain (it was behind a coat rack which has our dressing gowns on it which is why I hadn't realised how bad it was!). I shall just add curtains to my list for Spotlight!

Tomorrow we are going to lunch with some friends we haven't seen for ages. It will be good to have at least half a day off.

10 comments:

  1. Oh that’s was lucky and cheap.
    The bell bottoms are so cute and Alice is adorable

    ReplyDelete
  2. The bell bottoms and Alice are adorable!
    What did the agent mean when he said you "have gone unconditional?"
    hugs
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When you buy a property here (not at auction) there is a period of time when either party can withdraw (with penalties if there isn't a reason stated in the contract like finance). We have paid our full deposit (10% of purchase price) and the sale is now considered a done deal.

      Delete
  3. Well, there is no doubt now. You are on the move.
    I am a bit surprised it took Himself so long to work out the problem.
    Bell bottoms. How well does Alice wear them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That kid has style!!
      In his defence it was a tap that we hardly ever use.

      Delete
  4. That running water nightmare.. The worst. I'm glad iit turned out to have an explanation. Very cute bell model there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Water leaks are worrying because they usually mean big bucks going the wrong way.

      Delete
  5. I was never a fan of bell-bottoms but she is very cute. I hate hearing water running when there shouldn't be any.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the bell-bottoms! Thank goodness you solved that plumbing mystery. It probably saved you a lot of money!

    ReplyDelete