Sunday, 16 April 2023

I can't count

I thought I had three more venetian blinds to clean. I had forgotten the ones in the study and kitchen.

I now have one left to do. I am taking a break but will attack the last one shortly. And then I never, ever, ever want to touch another venetian blind again. I hope to god that wherever we rent doesn't have them. Sod it, if they do I will get an exit clean done and pay someone else to have the pain.

I have had two quotes for window cleaning. One was done online from the last real estate listing and was $320. Today a bloke came and quoted me $450. I think I will go for the $320. To be fair all our windows are floor to ceiling. We have 11 windows, 2 sliding doors with windows on either side, a glass door and smallish window in the laundry and the two bathroom windows which aren't that big. I know Himself will insist on doing them himself but he has other stuff to do.

The great thing about having a son who works for Qantas is being able to get cheaper air fares. The downside is that if the flight is heavily booked and there are more senior staff travelling one can get bumped. Twice! Himself sweet talked the lass on the desk and they have boarded. Only two hours later than planned! I don't understand people who lose their cool and yell at people thinking that they will get better service. Be nice and you may get what you want and then some.

When I was working as a receptionist for a medical specialist we would often get people ringing up and abusing us for not giving them appointments when they wanted them. At one point our waiting list blew out to 12 months (sadly, not uncommon in many fields). Be nice to me and you get put to the top of the cancellation list. Swear and yell and you might get pencilled in the bottom of the list with a warning to others that you are a right royal prick.

Tomorrow and Tuesday we have Sally. One of those days she is at dance. I want to go to Bunnings to buy some more small pots of brightly coloured annuals and some small indoor plants for pops of green.

It has been a challenging weekend with all this cleaning. It has involved climbing on things to reach the top and then lying on the floor to do the bottom bits. Lots of bending and stretching. The great thing is that Himself hasn't been here as I would have been told to leave it and let him do it (and he doesn't clean as thoroughly as I do). This way I have moaned and groaned and cussed but been pleased as I was able to climb on something with a tad more ease. I am, however, in a world of pain with my hips and shoulders so will say adieu, go and do the last blind (FOREVER) and then have a well earned glass of wine. 

14 comments:

  1. You have done so much, take that well-earned break. I'm putting off washing my lounge room curtains because I know I will hurt later after climbing up to get them down and climbing up again to put them back up when dry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't forget it is all about display and show. The detail won't really be noticed. We call Melbourne Blind Laundry who come and take down our blinds and away and then return them lovely and clean the next day and rehang them.
    You are so right about about people getting angry at staff. You make allowances for new staff. If the staff made a mistake, it is ok to have a word, but most things that irritate people when using a business is beyond the control of the staff you deal with. Lordy, don't I know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is about display and show but it is also about clean. The agent was saying he is amazed at how many people think their house is clean! The worst is behind me.

      Delete
  3. I agree with you about medical staff getting treated badly on the phone most times...There's no way I can clean all the blinds in this house...cleaning service, for sure.
    hugs
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am trying to avoid paying for too much to be done! The windows are a treat to me.

      Delete
  4. I hope your back isn't too sore...you guys are doing a great job...Peta

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am aware I worked hard but I can still walk!

      Delete
  5. Venetian blinds are so nice in theory. In reality, they are a royal pain in the ass and I will never have them in any house I live in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We couldn't afford plantation shutters for this place so I chose venetians - that came and bit me in the bum!

      Delete
  6. One of the main, only, reason I don’t have Venetian blinds. I do have them in the bathroom and toilet. But that’s it. They’re small and only get a dusting with the feather duster
    It sounds as though you have achieved quite a bit while hubby was away. Well done

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is a very, very dusty house. I don't know why but it doesn't take long for everything to be covered with a fine layer. I will invest in a feather duster and keep those blinds dust free.

      Delete
  7. Ooh, sounds painful! But worth the effort in the end, I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete