Monday, 24 April 2023

Seasons

Today was a glorious Autumn day. A heavy dew overnight which broke to a still, sunny day. 

 Officially our Autumn started on the first of March but our weather was still very summery. It is usually just after Easter that the weather really changes.

So ... Easter (borrowed from pagan festivals) is celebrated on the weekend of the first full moon after the spring/autumn equinox and this year that was two weeks ago. I know that many northern hemisphere countries identify spring and autumn by the equinoxes. 

Australia follows the traditions of those who came here a couple of hundred years ago and I fully understand why the early European aussies would want to retain that link to their home countries.

Recently a government department decided that we would split the year into two equal parts for daylight savings which doesn't reflect the changes in season.

There had been talk of the feral gummint (federal government) making Easter celebrations at the same time each year - think first weekend in April for example. I am pretty sure this wasn't an April Fool's joke and it has quietly disappeared.

Australia has an amazing and unique climate. Yes, it varies depending on location but there are - who'd of thunk it - first nation people from every area who understand the traditions of their elders who could educate us all. 

How cool would it be if we didn't have Spring, Summer, Autumn and Winter but seasons based on the indigenous knowledge of the areas. 




17 comments:

  1. Interesting! Here in Texas there's been a bill introduced to stop the constant changing of Daylight Savings Time every six months! We are SO tired of "Spring Forward, Fall Back"! Just keep the one DST and stop the back-and-forth business...hopefully, it'll pass!
    Enjoy the week!
    hugs
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really don't see the need for it. I wish we just stayed in one time zone.

      Delete
  2. I’d love to have a calendar for our area with the indigenous seasons.
    That would help with the planting of our crops immensely
    Unfortunately the climate has changed so much I don’t think even that would be of any help any more. Still I’d buy one of those calendars every year. Especially if it had stories and old myths on it as well.
    Maybe we could suggest it to someone and help make some money for the local indigenous groups

    ReplyDelete
  3. It would be interesting, that indigenous calendar. It's funny that the government considered standardizing Easter. And what happens when the government holiday conflicts with the religious calendar, I wonder?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think your idea about following the seasons set forth by the indigenous people is a very, very good one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't see the stuffed shirts in government agreeing to it, though.

      Delete
  5. I'm not a fan of changing back and forth to daylight savings time but without it, in the winter, the sun would not rise until almost 10am, because they want to keep daylight savings time all year round.

    People like to change things, don't we?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You still get the same number of daylight hours, though.

      Delete
    2. Yes, the same number of daylight but 10am is depressing for a morning sunrise.

      Delete
  6. thecontemplativecat here. I hate time changes. Students are miserable for a week or two, along with me. Almost anomalously vote to stay on one or the other. We should settle into one, and stick with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems to be a common theme but I can't see it happening. I am not sure where you're from, cat, but there is a town here which is half in Queensland (no DLS) and half in NSW (DLS). So in the summer you can literally walk across the street and be an hour ahead or behind.

      Delete
  7. Stalker
    I love daylight saving always have, and enjoy the seasons as well . I adore the word autumnal…it’s a delicious word . At the moment Manchurian Pear leaves, cut leaf birch and birch leaves are everywhere in our garden and the rake and the blower and the green bin are enjoying their seasonal romp…but I am always glad when they have had enough of their romp and pack it in for the winter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Autumn is my favourite time of year. A winding down from the craziness of summer. You can feel the earth breathe more slowly.

      Delete
  8. Seasons based on the indigenous knowledge? We might be better off. We could have early summer, middle summer, the really hot bit, late summer, cool summer, the wet days, then back to early summer.

    ReplyDelete