Monday, 1 May 2023

Old.

I just read a news item wherein an elderly man was arrested for the murder of a woman.

HE IS YOUNGER THAN HIMSELF!!! 

When did we get old? Or worse, elderly?

Elderly screams decrepitude, infirmity, frailty, knocking on heaven's door and all that.

We might not be in our prime and the spring in our step might not be as bouncy as it once was.

BUT WE ARE NOT ELDERLY.

The dog is on antibiotics and antidepressants. 

Our land settlement went through.

Tomorrow I will catch up with J and C and do another Vinnie's drop off. Himself will hopefully do another tip run and a storage run. He needs to finish the interior painting (one coat on two walls) and fix up some timber work. Then he can pull up the carpet and we can move some furniture around.

Time for a gin.


16 comments:

  1. You are in denial old gal. It's okay - this is often the case. A year from now you'll be racing Himself in your mobility scooters while singing war songs such as "We'll Meet Again" or possibly the Inuit version "Whale Meat Again!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had to laugh at Whale Meet Again BUT, Mr Pud, you are showing YOUR age. That was a song of our parents' era. We will be singing "We Will Rock You"!

      Delete
  2. Poor Doggie....we are not old...!!!! Peta

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish we could explain to them what is going on.

      Delete
  3. Hahaaa...here, they refer to us Boomers as, Seniors...We get discounts at restaurants of 10% so...I take full advantage!
    hugs
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have a seniors' card which gives similar benefits and I don't have a problem with 'senior'. It has a sense of dignity that 'elderly' doesn't!

      Delete
  4. Let's call ourselves "Olderly." I agree that "elderly" does not bring great images to mind.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I must confess I was briefly confused by the sentence "He is younger than himself." Ha!

    When I was a journalist we were told never to use the words "old" or "elderly" as they are subjective and diminishing. I usually just gave an age (if essential to the story) and avoided any adjective.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly, Steve! "A 72 year old man ..." would have been quite acceptable.

      Delete
  6. That is a strange sentence. Being called elderly is better than being called decrepit and other terms.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My point is that "elderly" encompasses those terms. At least it seems to here. Maybe it is not as discriminatory on your side of the world. Funny how words have different meanings.

      Delete
  7. Elderly seems to be anyone over 70, but I'll think of myself as elderly when I get to be 80. Maybe. I certainly don't feel old, just a bit slower.

    ReplyDelete
  8. When I was in the emergency section of the hospital all the doctors looked like they were in high school. That really makes me feel old!
    I prefer the term retro!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The problem I have with elderly is that it's often seen in the phrase frail elderly as if they were synonymous. I'm way older than boomers, and I'm old but not frail.

    ReplyDelete