Does anyone else think they (and everyone else) spend too much time on their phone?
Remember when you could leave the house without worrying that someone might ring you?
When you could go out to dinner or catch up with friends and not worry about missing a text or an email?
When people didn't get pissed off because you weren't available 24/7?
When you could engage 100% with someone without them being distracted by a ping?
When you could walk down the street and not worry about being bumped into by someone oblivious to their surroundings?
Today I used my phone to put the big dresser on market place and someone is coming to get it on Saturday so I am currently packing up all the contents.
Phones do have their use but I do wonder if we could, perhaps, use them a little less.
You describe the world that I still live in because I have never owned a mobile phone. I observe with puzzlement how most people are hooked on their phones and that includes Herself!
ReplyDeleteI am impressed, I think! Our illustrious leaders decreed that we will all be on a national broadband which meant traditional landlines went the way of the dinosaur so mobiles are somewhat essential.
DeleteI wish I could use mine less...but I can't right now.
ReplyDeleteCongrats on selling the dresser!
hugs
Donna
Thanks, Donna. I gave it away to someone who is very excited to be getting it. She loves solid timber furniture and does them up to look modern and gorgeous.
DeleteEveryone around here just walks with their ear plugs in talking to someone while walking around. I’ve kinda done a double take a few times thinking a nutter was walking towards me talking away. Only to notice the white ear plug.
ReplyDeleteOh, I have answered people I thought were talking to me!
DeleteI remember those days and use my own phone as little as possible. Just yesterday I witnessed a young woman walk straight into a pole because she was looking at her phone.
ReplyDeleteI would have found it hard not to snicker!
DeleteOh I snickered!
DeleteI imagine people felt the same way when landline phones came into their lives. Strangely, I don't talk on my phone much, mostly texting and a lot of photos. My phone has become my lightweight, portable camera.
ReplyDeleteIndeed, Pixie. They should be called cameras with the ability to make a phone call!
DeleteMaybe it's my age group, but though we all have smartphones, none of what you describe is happening around me. we do talk in our groups, only the very youngest ever occasionally pull out a phone to get more info on what we're discussing. When my son visits we ignore incoming texts and alerts. It just feels normal!
ReplyDeleteIt does seem to be a younger person's behaviour. I haven't seen anyone my age and older walking into things because they were looking at a phone. I don't think I could multitask that well!
DeleteIf my phone didn't have a camera I don't think I'd use it much at all. I almost never talk to anyone!
ReplyDeleteYou get enough talking at work! Most of my communication is with the kids and a couple of friends.
DeleteI keep forgetting to take my cell phone with me and to check my land line for messages. So, consequently, people have stopped trying to get hold of me!
ReplyDeleteThat could be quite peaceful!
DeleteIt depends very much on the situation I am in as to whether I give my phone attention. R reacts immediately to a ping or alert. I don't normally. What can be so urgent.
ReplyDeleteI got used to taking my phone everywhere when my parents were old and unwell. It was liberating when I no longer need to do that.
DeleteI totally agree but do love that if I'm expecting an important call I don't have to stay home waiting for the phone to ring. We don't have a landline so all calls come to the mobile... not that we get many calls. I also don't have sounds beeping for messages. One of my pet peeves is when people's phones constantly beep for messages. It. can. wait.
ReplyDeleteI like the freedom but it always seems the important calls come when I am in a busy place and can't hear them!
Delete