This isn't my bed! It's the bed in the hotel we stayed at in Townsville but wouldn't it be nice if when we were sick we were able to have freshly laundered sheets on our bed all the time?
Today has been rather unpleasant. I eventually went back to bed this afternoon which I never do but I was just so miserable and couldn't get comfortable anywhere. And I haven't done any exercise today but will put this down as a free day and hopefully will be well enough by the weekend to make up for it. If not, well, so be it. I love the feeling I get when I exercise (memories resurfacing from a couple of years ago and Fireman Sam) but being able to breathe is quite important, too!
I started reading a new book ("the thoughtful dresser" by Linda Grant - I need a break from Pratchett as I have read nothing but him for 12 months, now) and it got me thinking about blogs and how what we read evolves. When I first dipped my toe in the world of the internet and all it had to offer I was on the merry go round of weight loss and spent most (OK, ALL of my time) on weight loss forums and reading weight loss blogs. Through this I have met some wonderful people in real life and in cyberspace and I continue to read a handful of those bloggers but have found that the focus of their writing is no longer weight loss.
As a result of a consultation I had with Imogen Lamport a couple of years ago I have become a regular avid reader of her blog and through her have found many others. These blogs are all about style and finding one's own style and finally, after 53 years, I feel entitled to take a positive, healthy interest in my appearance and image. Yes I want to get healthier and lose some weight but I am learning to give myself permission to look my best regardless of what the scales or tape measure might say.
Through one of Imogen's posts I found this and it has made a huge difference to how my bras fit and, more importantly, my self esteem. I have also developed an interest in the sociological aspects of appearance (hence the book!) and for some reason I find it so liberating to search for books on style rather than continuously pick up yet another book on weight loss hoping THAT will solve my problems. A panelist on the Gruen Transfer made a comment along the lines of marketers/advertisers develop a product and then create a need in us. The weight loss industry is a prime example of this. We are constantly told that we are not good enough as we are and need product/company XYZ to rectify the situation. This results in appallingly low levels of self esteem in women who should be proud and confident.
The other area of blogging I am delving into is related to quilting. As a very new, self taught quilter I need all the help I can get. I have bought some books from ebay which have inspired me to go further but the myriad of blogs out there always have an answer to my immediate problems.
And speaking of quilting, Three has said he would like me to make him one to throw over the couch in his sitting room (the Green Room!) with a musical theme. So I have just purchased some fabric from ebay with guitars and will have a play with ideas to make something blokey. And I came across some Beatles fabric so Two will be getting a quilt as well. Now I just need to work out what One would like (other than the pyjamas I have been promising him for months!) and I might have a couple of Christmas pressies solved. Time permitting.
I'm feeling a bit better now. 2 paracetamol and a glass of sauv blanc seems to have numbed the pain or at least made me not give a toss about it.
Three is at work. Himself is in Sydney so I shall go and veg on the couch before making a pizza for dinner. I defrosted a chicken fillet but really cannot be bothered cooking it and frozen pizza base, cheese and mushroom sounds much more appealing. With chocolate to follow :)
Thanks for your link. What colour group did you end up as last time? Some groups have changed radically and some holes have been filled - if I know what you were I will have an idea if you need to think about doing it again.
ReplyDeleteHope you're feeling better. I've just finished pusing 40 000 chips and my back is aching, as are my feet, I'm off to have a glass of wine!