Friday, 10 September 2021

Friday - not that it really makes a difference what day it is!

Firstly a mother in law update. Telstra managed to deliver a phone to the facility which has been plugged in and I was able to ring her and speak with her. Sadly her dementia is such that, whilst she knows who I am, she gets confused about who fits where. She seems to forget that I am married to Himself who, apparently, was lent money "that I will never see again" to buy a house. And Robert (who is dead) will be next in line to buy a house after his paramour died and he is therefore homeless. So, so sad. On a good day I can see the funny side but today is not a good day.

Three's wife is being induced on Monday with granddaughter #6. She had her final obstetrician appointment on Wednesday and we were asked to look after Sally for a couple of hours. I offered a sleep over which was grabbed at! The agreement is that whatever Sally wants at a sleepover Sally gets as long as it's not naughty and she remembers her manners. To date this works well. Painting, playing ball, watching TV, stories read and biscuits eaten. The park played at and dogs walked. She got to choose dinner and ate it all. Ice cream may have also been consumed followed by a bath where I was given swimming lessons. Fortunately I didn't have to get in the bath. According to her parents Sally is struggling a bit with separation anxiety and this was evident whenever Himself went out "when's Grumpy coming back" and when a call to her mother dropped out "what if she's dead". And it meant that Granny slept with her. Let's use the word "slept" in it's loosest form, shall we? Granny got lovely cuddles when she got into bed but barely a wink of sleep so was very happy when mummy decided to pick the girl up in the early afternoon. I will do it all again in a heart beat, of course. Grandkids are so special. I also realise why young people are the ones to have children. I used to think it a cruel twist of nature that men could procreate for ever but women were time limited. As usual, nature was right!

Yesterday I got a call from a very dear friend who is a grey nomad and is currently in Cairns. She has been diagnosed with endometrial cancer. They will head to Brisbane where she will have a hysterectomy. I wish I could be with her but obviously that ain't going to happen. She had a CT scan yesterday and bloods today and will get the results on Monday or Tuesday which will indicate possible spread and then they can leave for Brisbane which will take about 3 days of driving (and towing a caravan). Another reminder to get those tests and be more body aware as we get older. Fingers and toes crossed it is still contained and the op will fix everything. Too many friends of late have been given similar diagnoses. Getting old has whiskers on it but is better than the alternative.

A gloomy post. I think another gin is called for.

1 comment:

  1. After a number of years of looking after a young niece, and great nieces I know what you mean about having children when you are young and fit. It is mentally exhausting, if not physically.

    Sorry to hear about your friend and her medical issues. Yes, fingers crossed. As you may recall, I've only just realised that a hysterectomy has a very long recovery period.

    Make that a double, and hold back on the tonic.

    ReplyDelete