Friday, 3 September 2021

Stranded

 

I have a friend who is stuck in Sydney. She went up a month ago as her father was dying. Sadly he passed away as she was waiting at the airport. She has been staying with her 94 year old mother trying to get her to eat and get some supports in place. Now she is desperately trying to get home. She lives alone. She is double vaxed. She has an adult daughter in Melbourne who has some mental health issues and needs her mum. The hoops the Victorian government is making her jump through to get home are ridiculous. Proof of residence, provide bills (all at home of course), financials. She has even got a letter from her daughter's psychiatrist. It's a shame she's not someone important, wealthy or sporty. In the mean time, HER mental health is deteriorating and this is a woman who has been through a lot in life and never crumbled. 

I had a shit of a night's sleep last night. It was extremely windy and the dogs were very unsettled. To make matters worse there was a possum somewhere in the garden. I could hear it hissing and growling and then the dogs whimpering. I ended up getting up and trying to settle Murphy on the couch. He was very agitated. Eventually I closed the gate to the back stairs to keep them on the deck, gave them a dentastix each and dozed on the couch until they were asleep and went back to bed around 4. I lay there listening to the rain and thunder which was nice. Finally fell asleep to be woken at 7 by the dogs telling me it was MORNING!!! So I let them downstairs and slept until 11.30!

It is very muggy. I think we will be in for some decent weather later (by decent, I mean rain and thunder!)

And life goes on in lockdown.

3 comments:

  1. Hello there, I’ve just come over from Andrew’s blog - I believe there’s hope for your friend - there was a snippet on this morning’s presser about the possibility of home quarantine becoming a reality. Dan wants to get stranded in NSW Victorians home asap and this might be the way.
    We’re up in FNQ at the moment and have deferred our return to Victoria for a few weeks- by the sound of the weather I know where I’d rather be…..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fingers crossed she gets cleared to fly on Monday. I have Victorian friends who are in FNQ as well. They are in the Cairns area at the moment. I also have an aunt in Forrest Beach near Ingham. It is piddling down as I type!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The process to return doesn't sound easy. It seems like you have to hound and insist and eventually a human will look at your case and see common sense.

    I'm glad you are enjoying the weather. I am not particularly but of course, "We need the rain". Hope you have a less disturbed sleep tonight.

    ReplyDelete