I had my interview with Melbourne Polytechnic and I am in and I can do the remote course. Two evenings a week for a bloody long time plus 4 Saturdays on campus over the year and assignments and other stuff out of class time. Please god let Mr Centrelink give me a reprieve. I have to make an appointment for tomorrow to pay and, fingers crossed again, I will be eligible for the concession rate. Himself said if I got in he would get me a new computer as this one is 5+ years old and a bit unreliable. I think we will be popping down to JB HiFi shortly.
Himself went out with the dogs to give me space. Sure as eggs is eggs they would have set off a barking cacophony while I was zooming. Whilst out the ACF rang with an update. He spoke to mother in law and she seemed quite alert although she wants to go home and they won't let her. She is still not weight bearing which is a worry but they are waiting for the community nurse to come and assess her. Damned Covid.
K woke up feeling terrible. She went to the testing station and was given 7 rats. Thank goodness she came back negative. It's probably new meds but it does mean we can all get together tomorrow.
The online planner said she was happy to do our purchase so I have cancelled the store visit and we have an appointment with Mira at 4pm today. Himself went in to Ikea to check out lighting and we have changed our mind. We will be getting under cabinet lighting that is dimmable and very elegant.
Much later ....
I have a new beaut computer. It's not a lap top but an all in one thingy. It has a huge screen which will make all zoom stuff much easier. And it cost $12 more than the lap top we were looking at but is faster and smarter and stuff. I don't use the lap top as a portable device so a replacement wasn't a priority. I thought I had the option of a laptop or a desk top tower. I was about to buy said lap top as it was a really good price when the delightful young man (who was 22 and kept referring to his younger days) actually listened to the needs of this geriatric heffalump and suggested the item we subsequently bought. Even better he didn't try and upsell shit. It pays to treat people as people. We could have been dismissive (he looked about 15) and he could have been dismissive (we're old) but we clicked.
This means a big tidy up of my desk area and this lap top is now on battery. Guess I'd better get a wriggle on and learn how to drive the new machine. Or find a power point for this old beast. I have been looking for a reason to attack "my" area and this will be it "My" area being what was originally the formal front room and dining room. I am spoilt.
We had the final consult with the Ikea online planner. Cannot speak more highly of them and Mira in particular. There are some items that are on back order. It will be a higgledy piggledy delivery and installation but that's ok. Considering current supply chains we really can't complain.
I rang Melbourne Polytechnic and have yet another phone interview tomorrow but I will be getting the concession.
Snags, salad and home made rolls for dinner. The wine was cracked a while ago.
Craft tomorrow with people I love.
Am I wrong for feeling a bit apprehensive at my good fortune?

All sounding good. Out desktop, where I am now sitting is more than five years old. We bought it as a package online, sent from Sydney. I think about replacing it, but it works just fine.
ReplyDeleteI am not sure what your all in one thingy is.
It has the computer at the back of the screen. So I get a larger screen than a notebook and don't have to find somewhere to put the tower. Like the original mac computers I believe.
DeleteGlad you are happy with Polytechnic and your computer, Way to go girl.
ReplyDeleteThanks, Pat. I am a bit nervous but that's good. The old brain needs a bit of a kick start.
DeleteCongratulations. Well done
ReplyDeleteNo not wrong. Excitement and apprehension are pretty typical I’d say
Try to enjoy it as much as you can. It’s a huge step.
Thanks Angela. At least I can still do my craft which is my saviour.
DeleteI really admire your perseverance. Things are coming together well for you. I'm sure your good fortune will continue.
ReplyDeleteThank you so much.
Delete