Sunday, 23 January 2022

I am still waiting to hear back from the Polytechnic with the next stage of my enrolment. I hope to blazes it's still all go. I am not the most patient of people.

We were woken at 5am with the dogs going ballistic outside our bedroom then a squeak then silence. I got up and turned the light on the balcony and saw a trail of blood. I think it was a possum and most likely a young one as the mature ones will stand up for themselves and make a horrible noise. No sign of anything in the light of day. 

Himself has been eyeing off my new PC. He hasn't had a new one for ever (last one was a cheap throw out from The Men's Shed and the one prior was well over 10 years ago). The current price on this one is $300 off so I have sent him to buy one. I threatened that if he didn't I would buy it online and he would have to pay $10 delivery! He spends more time on the internet than I do and he deserves it. Rightly or wrongly (I say the latter) many days this is his only contact with the outside world other than moi.


Later ...

He came back a very happy man. He is now playing with HIS new toy. That means he won't play with mine and I can set it up the way I want. Method in my madness!

The kitchen renovation destruction has begun. One of the reasons we persuaded ourselves we needed a new kitchen was to address the shocking storage in our current one. The house we lived in prior to this had us spoilt for space and I really missed it when we moved. I don't know why '80s houses lack storage space. Anyway, we bought a pantry unit from Ikea (where else?) and it sat in the dining area of the open plan kitchen living area. Very useful but it made that corner of the room feel cramped. I need more yarn storage. See where this is going? 

This afternoon I emptied the pantry and it is now in my study/craft area. I will let it sit overnight to get rid of the smell of herbs and spices and then I will stock my yarn. This will mean more space for me and my yarn won't get dusty. It will also mean that we will be able to see what we actually use from a grocery perspective. Even as I was unpacking the pantry I was horrified to see how much stuff we buy just in case or cos it's on special. Avalanche hot chocolate anyone? I have over a dozen boxes. The great thing about the new kitchen is that we will be able to easily see what we have on hand. I threw out so much stuff that was well past best before (if it's dry and sealed like rice I don't stress but liquid and sealed I tend to allow 12 months then it goes; dairy or similar doesn't get a chance!)

Dinner tonight will be chicken from the freezer. It was going to be a butter chicken but when I opened the sauce (15 months past) I didn't feel comfortable so it will be a rogan josh well within. With rice and pappadums and raita. We didn't have dessert last night so those options are still there.

It's bloody hot here and will be for the next few days so I am hoping I don't need to go anywhere.

8 comments:

  1. You have been busy. While I don't quite have my own desktop computer, R uses it rarely and we have three browsers. Mine is Chrome, his is Firefox and Edge set to child safe is for visitors.

    Overnight to get rid of the herb smells from the pantry unit? Good luck with that.

    Rogan josh! You still like your traditional English food.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andrew we live/work in separate spaces so he needs his and I, mine. We can also be on at the same time. I was a Chrome user but have been set to Brave - apparently fewer ads and better security. We shall see. I might quietly change things back if it gives me the irrits.
      I was last in England before Indian food was a thing. My early memories of curry were a West African ground nut curry. When we lived in Hong Kong we would go the local colonial club and as kids chow fan and chips was our go to. The best fried rice I have ever had and the chips just made it even better.

      Delete
    2. It is amazing how British people have embraced Indian food, but of it must come with chips. You were young in HK and didn't really realise what you were experiencing in such an exotic location.

      Delete
  2. I really really need to do a pantry clean out. I keep putting it off
    It’s nice you got found a new use for an unwanted piece of furniture 😉
    You can never have too much yarn. It never has a use by date

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Angela, I must stop buying yarn. It's so delicious and squishy I find it hard to resist!

      Delete
  3. A good exchange. You will love your separate yarn storage unit. My basement is overflowing with yarn I have collected for the Knitters and Crafters but we have yet to meet as lockdown is still in effect. We make Twiddlemuffs for Alzheimers and Dementia patients.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OK - you've got me. What's a twiddlemuff?
    I currently have yarn in cupboards and shelves. This will give me more room for more yarn!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can Google Twiddlemuffs - it's easier than me trying to explain it.

      Delete