Saturday, 22 January 2022

Still learning how to drive this thing.

 Himself has set the new computer up for me. Not that I couldn't do it myself but he gets a kick out of this sort of thing. The keyboard isn't quite the same so it's taking me time to type as I keep correcting but that won't take long.

Microsoft is a right royal pain in the arse. How hard can it be? I think we have finally got office working and my email linked to outlook.

I am still moving my favourite blogs over. I don't want to do a straight transfer as there is shit on the old computer I am happy to leave behind. Not blogs, folks, more the stuff from when father in law died and other stuff I have stored on the old one. I want this to be pristine - for now at least! I was also amazed to find that UK keyboards are different from US. For example, @ is above 2 in the US (and Australia) and on a UK keyboard " is above 2. At least that's what happened when I selected UK over US.  I stand to be corrected!

Today I went to SaY with the craft group and others. It was a great turnout and just what many needed. I didn't buy any yarn although I was sorely tempted. I did enable a couple of women to buy yarn and patterns to the tune of over $100. 

Amy came and left the girls with Three. Their house is really hot (rental and areshole landlords) and it all got too much for everyone. Amy and I left at the same time and I told her to bring the girls to us which she did. I thought Three would come but he needed time to himself. After a couple of hours here cooling down I sent her home with some cold beer for Three, a loaf of cheesy bread to bake and some finger pianos for Himself and Sally to play with (some crap I bought from a facebook ad which is sure to drive Amy crazy but Three will enjoy it).

Dinner tonight is pasta with some sauce from the freezer (when we could get mince), salad and the same cheesy bread I sent home with Amy. Dessert could be chocolate panacotta or flourless orange cake. 

Sleep tonight will be a challenge. The temperatures are unlikely to drop below 20*C. 


11 comments:

  1. I stupidly turned off the aircon this morning and the house quickly heated up
    It’s now on and it’s staying on
    It’s a little cool but I don’t mind. I like snuggling into the doona
    I know I’m crazy but I just can’t sleep with out being covered
    Hope you all get some restful sleep

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Angela I am like you which is why I hate hot nights. I need something covering me.

      Delete
  2. Our place will is cool now as the aircon has been on all day since 7am. We will turn it off when we go to bed, sleep with just a sheet over us and the bedroom ceiling fans on the low setting. A couple of times with over forty degree heat we did leave the air con on all night.

    If Australian English is not available, I select English English over US English. But in the early 2000s when I first visited England I realised their keyboards are different. We use the American keyboard here and always have. Press and hold Alt and type 156 for £ and Alt 0218 for €.
    https://highriser.blogspot.com/2013/05/keybaord-puzzlement.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was an interesting entry, Andrew. I just had a whole heap of fun playing with Alt and numbers { h ╓ ╪

      Delete
  3. Congratulations and well done on getting into the course that you wanted. What will you be studying? New computer...that's wonderful! Setting it up is always a drag but once done you'll be raring to go. You probably have your keyboard layout sorted by now but perhaps the following link may be of use to you.https://www.techadvisor.com/how-to/windows/how-change-keyboard-layout-language-in-windows-10-3661624/. Enjoy! Amanda :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the link. I'll check it out. Things seem to be OK at the moment.
      I will be studying Auslan which is Australian sign language.

      Delete
  4. Don't know much about computers - dreading the day when I have to replace my laptop. Son usually does techie things for me but he is now across the continent so that won't be happening. Maybe SIL?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chris, I find if I take things slowly I can usually work them out. And there is heaps of information out there. I let Himself do it cos, well, keeps the peace and all that. I do have sons if I need them but the best teacher is in another state - the others tend to fix the problem and say there you go Mum but don't show me how to do it myself.

      Delete
  5. If it's any help, we had a cool change through today which you'll probably get tomorrow. Our house was getting to be a furnace (it's 110 years old and stone) and will take a while to cool down. Hopefully you won't get 2 solid days of rain as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love 2 days of rain with a cool change. Where are you again? SA?

      Delete
  6. Adelaide. And the house is still hot!

    ReplyDelete