Sunday, 5 June 2022

I think I could be a bear



I do love Winter. I love it when it rains and blows and all you want to do is hunker down indoors which is exactly what I did today. Hibernating should be encouraged.

Himself slept in. He's not been well and I think it's a combination of mental health issues that he won't address, late nights (see first point), a potential allergy to all the animals sleeping on the bed (his choice!) and mental health issues. I know he's struggling when he says the doctor and the psychologist can't help him. That's when he needs them the most. 

Anyway, when he finally got up he took the dogs for a run in the park and they came back happy and wet. At least the dogs get him out in the fresh air and interacting with other people.

He went shopping. Cat food and shitty litter from the pet shop and groceries from Aldi. Toilet paper is scarce again. He bought a quiche, a marinated roast and some frozen veg for Three and took them over with a couple of bottles of aldi wine. I hope they use them - the food, not the wine. I know that will be used!

While he was shopping I baked a double batch of sugar cookies and added cocoa powder to make them chocolate. Oh my, they are good. I sent some over to Three with Himself and got a text saying they were awesome.

I spent a decent amount of time crocheting. I had to frog the cardigan from hell yet again. The pattern has a mistake and I thought I had fudged it but it didn't work when I tried it on at craft yesterday (the best thing about making a top down garment is you can try it on as it grows). So I decided to fudge it a different way which meant taking it back to where the sleeves divide from the body. If this doesn't work it will be going in the naughty corner for a very long time.

Dinner tonight is chicken and corn soup from the freezer and some rolls that are currently baking. The fire is going, the house is quiet and content and life is pretty damn good right now. I'll take it when I can.



Chris has damaged her hand and can't bake. I suggested she have a go at a melt and mix recipe so here is one I hope she tries and likes.

Melt n mix shortbread

250g butter melted,

1/2 teaspoon vanilla essence

1/4 cup caster sugar (55g)

1/3 cup icing sugar mixture (55g)

1/3 cup cornflour (50g)

2 1/3 cups plain flour (350g)

Beat cooled butter, essence, sugars and cornflour in a small bowl with electric mixer until thick. Stir in sifted flour. Press mixture over base of greased 19cm x 29 cm rectangular slice pan, smooth with spatula, mark into squares or rectangles, prick lightly with fork. Bake in moderate oven about 25 minutes or until firm. Cut shortbread where marked. Cool in pan.


6 comments:

  1. My hubby is seriously stressed and angry because of his family and his father dying. We had a huge fight the other night and I yelled at him, I never really yell at him. I told him I can't be the only one he talks to, it's too much for one person. Nothing changes. He's still stressed and angry. Sigh.

    I like the change of seasons and by fall I'm ready to let go of the heat but our winters are just too damned cold and too damned long.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They don't get it, do they? It's so hard to carry all their angst as well as dealing with our own issues. Your winters sound lovely from this side of the world but I guess I would change my mind if I had to live through one.

      Delete
  2. It’s so cold today. That wouldn’t help, especially if you have aches and pains. That affects mental health too. I’m definitely staying inside the rest of the day. Sitting under that blanket while I work on it is exactly what I need. I hope you both get some decent rest

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope your aches and pains aren't too bad today. It's not a good day for you.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for the recipe. I'll give it a go!

    ReplyDelete