Saturday, 4 June 2022

The wedding

 It was a lovely wedding. It was cold but the rain stayed away and there was an open fire in the venue. In fact it got quite overheated so we stood near the door and kept popping out for some coolth.

Sally was delighted to find there was a dance floor.



She stayed off it long enough for the bride and groom to have their first dance and then she was away.



The canapes before dinner were amazing. The meal, as is so often the case in these situations, was less than inspiring. I loved the fact that the kids (and there were plenty) got chicken nuggets and chips and a little bag with coloured pencils and a puzzle book with "love from Emma" on the front.

The speeches, again as is so often the case, were awkward. Not least because my brother and his ex wife were asked to talk about their son who nobody really knows - including his parents judging by what they said. Either that or he is just a bit boring. But I love him anyway. Current sister in law looked mildly pissed off - there is no love lost between the two women and I thought they both showed great dignity and restraint.

It was lovely to catch up with Two and Mads. And to hear that they are expecting their third child in November. It wasn't meant to be announced then but the dietary restrictions sort of gave it away and then, in hindsight, the way she was covering her tummy. The groom already new because of said dietary restrictions.

We left after dinner when the music started.

Sally ended up "borrowing" the bride's tiara and they all partied until the end at 10. 30

We were well home in front of the telly with an open fire. The bridge and groom were fine with our early retreat as they understood our concerns about leaving the dogs for so long.

















12 comments:

  1. Weddings speeches are SO awkward. When we got married I'd only been in Adelaide for 8 months and a lot of my husband's old friends barely knew me. Not much they could make a speech about!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was certainly a bride dominated reception!

      Delete
  2. I totally understand having to go home to the fur babies.
    Tonight we went to bunjil to see a comedian and it was the first time we have left Trixie at night.
    Glad you had a nice day

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If the music had been quieter or if there had been somewhere to sit away from it we might have stayed. Who am I kidding. Himself couldn't get out of there fast enough!

      Delete
  3. I was probably about your granddaughter's age when my sisters got married and it was magical. Your Sally looks like she had a wonderful time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pixie, this was her first wedding and apart from the boring bits (like eating dinner) she had a ball.

      Delete
  4. Sally looks adorable...Peta

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is a real poser but I love the shots when she doesn't know the camera is out.

      Delete
  5. I'm glad children were included as that's not always the case. Sally looks like she had a night to remember!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was the first wedding I have been to where kids were properly catered for. And Emma made a point of being a princess to the little girls. It was perfect.

      Delete
  6. I'm pleased it went well.
    At my brother's 50th, my sister did not have a drink. Very out of character and everyone guessed why. Sadly the foetus had already died by then and she didn't know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so sad.
      Couples are told to not announce until at least 12 weeks but behaviours give it away so early on. When I was working on a chemotherapy unit we knew when nurses were even thinking about having a baby as no handling chemo for them.

      Delete