So I will pose a question.
Background...
a past captain of the Australian cricket team was filmed having a very heated altercation with his (now ex?) girlfriend. He had been playing away, so to speak, and was found out.
All this is bad enough.
During the fracas she slapped him three times across the face.
The media is full of him apologising etc etc. To be honest I couldn't care less.
Except for this.
SHE slapped HIM three times across the face.
If the report was HE slapped HER he would be in custody by now and all the hounds of hell would be brought down upon him.
Surely when SOMEONE slaps ANYONE across the face it is assault - and in this case would be domestic violence.
Domestic violence is wrong. It needs to be stamped out. Society abhors it and rightly so. Until the perpetrator is female and then it is the bloke's fault.
I feel something is amiss here.
What say you?
Absolutely, there would be riots in the streets if he had slapped here and rightly so.
ReplyDeleteSo there should be just as big an outcry against her.
No one should ever raise their hand against anyone. Violence is never ok
I'm with you, Angela
DeleteThe Stalker
ReplyDeleteOne could also say telling a lie is also an assault… I think the slap is DV but I wonder if she will plead mitigating circumstances …I would in the case of that egocentric sleazy bloke.
Regardless of the slap ….what a disgusting display of language and behaviour from all involved in this incident.
Instead of reading them news this morning we became voyeurs , and we giggled, which is probably also inappropriate. We humans have a great deal to answer for our behaviours. .Thank goodness for the doggos in our lives…no dramas, just love
Have fun
I didn't watch the video. I just read/heard about the incident.
DeleteThe whole thing seems very unfortunate for all concerned.
I'm with you! Keep your hands to yourself!! Assault ia Assault, man OR woman...
ReplyDeletehugs
Donna
Agree, Donna.
DeleteShe was in the wrong, slapping someone across the face is wrong, regardless of your sex.
ReplyDeleteAnd yet I fully understand how a battered spouse can kill their partner (regardless of gender). In fact I think the premeditation of that circumstance speaks more to the years of abuse than a slap in the face which is assault.
DeleteI agree, years of abuse take their toll.
DeleteI think he COULD press charges if he wanted to. (I say this without knowing Australian law but I think that's true elsewhere.)
ReplyDeleteSteve, I understand only the police can press charges but of course they would take into account the situation and whether someone wanted to take matters further. Ultimately it is for the police to decide. The person could take out a civil action against the offender.
DeleteAndrew answered that better than I could, Steve. Our laws are complicated.
DeleteYes, it's wrong for either person to assault the other. One article said he appeared injured and limped? Perhaps she kicked him too. I personally have lashed out when extremely pushed (not a slap, more a mild punch on an arm). I know the anger and rage felt when cheated on, especially the rage you feel when you are in a committed relationship with a total arse. Still no excuse for any form of violence.
ReplyDeleteHe did his hamstring but not sure how.
DeleteI do understand the frustration of the situation. And I understand hitting out. It's the double standard that bothered me.
Assault is assault and clear in my mind. What made me feel uncomfortable was that although the person who filmed what happened was quite within their rights as it was in a public space, it seemed to be a terrible invasion of a distressing situation. I suppose that is the price of celebrity.
ReplyDeleteYou have hit the nail on the head, Andrew. I find the behaviour of those filming as upsetting as the incident itself.
DeleteAndrew you take photos of young men who probably don’t know you are doing it
Deleteso what is the difference