I caught up with just J today for a light brunch and some nattering and knitting. We find it easier with just the two of us. C has a lot of issues and depending on the day can be a bit prickly. We love her to bits and do enjoy her company but sometimes it's nice to be able to chat without having to second guess ourselves.
I then went to the supermarket. All. By. Myself. Which meant I was able to buy a couple of toys for the girls (I've invited Lily to come over next week when we have Sally) without being asked if they were necessary, some decent gin that was only a few dollars more than the cheap shit stuff and could spend time just looking and seeing what's around. I did forget to check out brussels sprouts. They are a winter veg but I don't think anyone knows what the seasons are at the moment, including the produce.
It is quite a pleasant day. Not too hot and not too windy.
Sally has been playing games on her ipad and sending me messages about the game and asking me to guess what she's drawing. Yesterday she facetimed me and I got to see Alice who waved when she saw my face and heard my voice. These are the good things about technology. It is why the NSW girls know who we are even though they barely see us twice a year in person.
After dealing with some annoying pain issues and the ever increasing weight I bit the bullet this week and went back onto the Fast 800 program designed by Michael Mosely. I lost weight and felt so much better back in 2021 using this. Looking back at my entries at the time I can see why I went off the rails. Covid, isolation and a deteriorating mother in law for starters.
Anyway, I have written out the meals for a couple of weeks and so far so good. I still have a couple of gins and soda in the evening and scrabble food is a small piece of cheese, some pickled onions, a small handful of nuts, some berries - that sort of thing. Not the large amounts of cheese, biscuits, nuts and crisps. And the wine is a treat for now and again. I know, I know.
I have a very all or nothing personality and this has been my downfall in many endeavours. If I can't do it 100% first time it will toss it in. Oh, the negative self talk I have subjected myself to over the years. I am learning to not stress over things not being perfect. As long as the finished product looks good and does the job, only I will know if it isn't perfect. And isn't that one of the joys of handmade stuff? If I choose to not have wine and cheese today that doesn't mean I won't have it down the track. During past efforts at weight loss I have been known to throw out recipe books because I will never cook that food again. Rabbit food for me forever. Welcome to the crazy that is my mind.
When we started the quick lockdown that was going to save us back in 2020 I shaved my hair and coloured it pink. It was a bit of a giggle that I thought would last a month at the most. Over the next 2 years I kept it very short as it was easy to do at home and I wasn't game to go to a hairdresser - not going to wear a mask for that amount of time! I went to local cheap cut place the day before nephew's wedding and ended up very short again. I haven't touched it since and Himself says he prefers it with some length. I will get it tidied up soon as I am feeling a bit like an old English sheepdog. This morning I was running late to meet and J and my hair really needed a wash. No problem until I couldn't find the hairdryer and remembered it had ended up in the garage as a tool for something or other. I met her looking like I'd just come out of the swimming pool (in my dreams nightmares). Had we not spent more time than planned nattering I would have popped into BigW and grabbed one but I had just about reached my limit of people and still had to go to the supermarket.
I am now waiting for Himself to come back from the Shed.
Chicken fajitas for dinner in lettuce leaves. Last night's dinner was really tasty and it made enough to have freeze. I love having frozen meals on standby.
What to say that is vaguely intelligent? One frozen tuna mornay out of the freezer the week past and one double meat sauce after spag bol in for a future lasagne. Left overs for lunch this week, not much. One spag bol and one Thai green curry with rice. Saturday night is probably chef's night off, Sunday night maybe fried Christmas ham steaks with canned pineapple rings.
ReplyDelete'Tis a queer thing that the person I look at in the mirror is far slimmer than the fat old man I see in reflections.
Or photos, Andrew. I didn't think I was that bad until I saw the photo from a Christmas lunch and I was the fat old lady. Our mirrors must be magic.
DeleteI love your all or nothing confessions! And about having food cooked and in the freezer. Right now I'm thawing out some spaghetti sauce I froze a few days ago for whenever I felt like having it again. It took ages to cook, so now I'm getting the second benefit.
ReplyDeleteMy doctor was surprised to see my weight stayed exactly the same through the whole pandemic period unlike a lot of her patients. But I pointed out that I'd come to terms years ago with a solitary life, still ate the same foods, so it's not so surprising.
My issue is stress eating, Liz. And when I am really bad I eat to fill the hole in my soul that no amount of eating will fill but it creates this constant hunger.
DeleteWell, good for you for jumping in and planning!
ReplyDeleteGlad you got to go out and have a little time with a friend. Nothing like it.
Good friends can talk about nothing or fix the problems of the world. Or we can sit in companionable silence and knit.
DeleteGood on you for going out and about. It’s still scary really.
ReplyDeleteSo many germs flying around and people are just so rude.
I was the same. I lots so much weight and I was keeping it off. Until all the lockdowns. I’ve not really been motivated to do it again.
Baby steps I think. It will become a habit once again and fingers crossed the weigh will start to go down
I am lucky that the recipes are so easy and so delicious. I find putting the time into creating the meals makes the whole thing so much more pleasant.
DeleteThere was a chap at Karingal who was with a carer. He had a monumental and very loud breakdown. The reaction of most was appalling. People are cruel. I do not like them.
You’ll have to keep us posted on how you’re doing - wishing you well.
ReplyDeleteLike so many of us I’ve got several kegs of lockdown fat I need to lose as well. Eyes pop when the scales read new figures not seen for a while. Sadly I donated a lot of my larger clothes - might have to go see if others have done the same so I’ll have something to wear.
A lot of the online 800cal recipes are quite ‘exotic’ and pricy. Donated the calorie counter as well🙁
Thank you, Cathy. I will.
DeleteI bought the two books which had been adapted for Australia/NZ and choose the recipes with the most readily obtainable ingredients. Lots of herbs and spices so always tasty.
If I need to check a calorie content I google it now. No excuse!!!
You sound like R. For him it is never cutting down or cutting back, but all or nothing. This has been a no alcohol week for him, not even tempted by the usual Friday night visit by the Scottish doctor, which means all the more for me, not necessarily a good thing.
ReplyDeleteI am slowly training myself to be less rigid in my approach to things. It extends to everything. When I took up crochet I got rid of all my knitting paraphernalia - and then went back to knitting. It is a very expensive character trait!
DeleteIs the Scottish doctor single or a blend?
I was always so skinny growing up and even after I had kids. No longer. Since I turned fifty, I have gained weight, but I am also much more happy, so there's that. What I do need is to get out walking again, which I'm working on.
ReplyDelete