Monday, 2 January 2023

Tired

I didn't have a late night last night but I could not get to sleep. We had the aircon on but it was noisy and I couldn't get comfortable. I was still awake when Himself came to bed around 1.30. I finally drifted off to sleep to be woken by him effing and blinding. 

He thought he could hear water. So he went down into the back garden to check a tap he had been trying to fix. Nothing. Then he crawled under the house to see if he had damaged the pipe connected to the tap. Nothing. He listened to walls and floors trying to find the source. Nothing. Finally he thought to check the front garden and also to see if the water meter was running. 

It turns out when I had watered the garden I had not fully turned the tap off that leads to the connection on the vege pod. It wasn't a huge deluge because I always check the pod after I have turned the tap off but it was enough to wake the deaf bastard who can't hear me talking to him when I am standing right behind him.

So he came back to bed cussing but swears he wasn't trying to wake me up to tell me.

Everyone was unsettled and I got up earlier than usual to let the dogs out knowing I was going to be tired and grumpy all day.

It was a horrible hot and sticky day today with scattered storms which did nothing to ease the discomfort. Add in the lack of sleep (did I mention I was tired?) and I felt quite sick but didn't want to lie down as that would have made things worse. I hate sleeping in the middle of the day.

We went to the supermarket but we had to go to the big one at Karingal where we can park under cover instead of the small local one. I hate crowded supermarkets.

For a few months he has been doing the shopping and you would think I had never set foot in a supermarket before. "Tell me what's next on your list so I can direct you". 

After we came home he went for a drive to suss out a dog friendly beach. It looks lovely so when the weather is cooler and the idiots have gone back to work and school we will take them down for a swim. 

While he was out I had a go at the colourwork jumper I am making for Billie. It is an interesting way of knitting in that you have yarn in each hand to alternate the colours. All went well for my first round (with quite a bit of unknitting) until I got the end of the round and had one stitch too few (or one too many, I didn't count). I ripped the whole lot out in disgust and went to work on the sock I started for Himself on Christmas Day. I went to divide the stitches for the heel and found I had too many so that got ripped out as well.

It is cooler outside but still warm and muggy inside so I am going to take my tired, grumpy self up to the cooler room and watch some telly for a while. 

Tomorrow One is having Goose put to sleep so I will be watching the girls.

14 comments:

  1. Sounds like my New Year's Day. Boy was I crook, simply by staying up so late to stand at the tram stop below to watch midnight fireworks. I don't do midnight anymore. Here today we had cool change light and I went out and it was horrible weather. Then a proper cool change arrived. Air con off, balcony door open. Cooling down rapidly.

    Men at times will not hear (sensibly?) their partner's voices, but have a good ear for a strange or unusual noise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That faux cool change was cruel.
      I guess you're right about the hearing although I cannot imagine why Himself wouldn't want to hang on my every word.

      Delete
  2. Sounds like July here! I don't envy you. Probably not a good knitting time, huh?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I chose projects that were not heavy on my lap but I think tiredness and complacency hit me across the back of my head.

      Delete
  3. I wake up at all hours...trick is, to stay in bed and not get on up...It's Winter here, thank goodness. Hate Texas heat.
    hughugs
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never get up during the night (unless to answer the call of nature) but will lie there getting angrier and more frustrated. I then toss and turn and tie the sheet in a knot and throw it onto the middle of the bed which results in more huffing and puffing when Himself finally comes to bed! Have I told you how much I hate the heat?!

      Delete
  4. I hate those horrible, terrible days. I did, however love your sentence about your deaf husband being able to hear water running in the middle of the night. Even though today is not going to be easy, watching the girls while their pet is being put to sleep, but I hope it's at least slightly better than the knitting-ripping day you had.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ms Moon. The girls were told and don't seem to phased but I dare say the questions will start when they realise Goose isn't coming home. It is being done this afternoon.

      Delete
  5. One of those days! Argh! I'm impressed he could hear the water, though you made me laugh with your comment about his selective hearing. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still think he was dreaming the whole thing. But if it got him crawling under a dusty, dirty house in the middle of the night I don't mind!

      Delete
  6. Enough to wake the deaf, fucking bastard. Love this and him directing you around the grocery store. Bless. Good on you for not smothering him in his sleep:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had to go and check what I had published cos you wrote what I initially called him. I have been tempted over the years, believe me!!

      Delete
  7. Omg he sounds like my hubby. Can’t hear me screaming at him from a foot away. But can hear crickets in the next paddock.
    The weather is making us all tired and grumpy. Thankfully it’s much cooler today

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It must be a male thing! I am enjoying the coolth.

      Delete