Sunday, 8 January 2023

Look forwards not backwards

Thank you everyone, for your input and comments on retirement.

I am not unhappy with retirement (although officially I have until 4th March before I can claim the age pension and get off the jobseeking treadmill). I just find dealing with Himself who does struggle at times, a bit of a challenge. I have some ideas from all the comments. Now to make a plan. A cunning plan.

I think that working people heading towards retirement could do with some education on what to expect. Suggestions on how to plan for it. Not financial - there is plenty of that - but more what changes to expect, how to look after your mental health, how to tap into groups, that sort of thing. Retirement is NOT just one long weekend as so many seem to think it will be. Many people (mainly men) have their entire social network revolve around work and when that stops they are left stranded. I know women work more these days and I'm sure many women find themselves in a similar boat but we seem better at creating and keeping those social networks outside and beyond work.

My issue when we moved here in 2017 was that I left my network behind and although it wasn't that far away it was far enough. Thanks to the internet and craft I have made some good friends but I was horribly lonely here for a while. Funnily enough, one of my dearest new friends has moved to the area we used to live in and we still catch up. I guess our friendship is more about things we have in common rather than where we live.

I weighed myself this morning and I have lost 2.9kgs which isn't bad. I do realise most of this is water as our bodies use our glycogen stores as a first resort for energy when calories are reduced and every glycogen molecule is linked with a water molecule so those molecules have to go somewhere once released from the glycogen (usually down the loo and the weight goes with it!) - at least that is what I remember from my uni days!

**********

We had a couple of games of scrabble - one all. I have touched base with Mads to lock in a time to head up there so things are settling into place.

Chicken pesto tray bake for dinner. 

Life really isn't that bad, is it?


18 comments:

  1. You are sensible about weight loss. You know how it works and fails.

    I had many romantic dreams about what I would do in retirement after over forty years of high stress shift work. None have come to fruition and I just don't care. I forgot to add the data that I would be older and have some medical issues.

    Plan all you like, but it is nice to just get up when you want to and do what you have to and want to do each day. After a working life of having to be at work sometime between 4.30am and 4.30pm I love the regimentation of my alarm going off at the same time every day. Isn't that what you are now doing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh god. Shift work. If I have to set an alarm these days I spend a sleepless night waiting for the damn thing to go off. I think we do forget about age and ailments when planning the future.

      Delete
  2. There are loads of ‘retirement blogs’ out there full of what they are going to do, how they’ll do it, places to go and how they’ll have fun going - doing - seeing etc etc. I told someone retirement is just another stage of your life….you’re going to be very unhappy if you expect it to be the way you are planning. Real misery aren’t I😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No. Realistic. I don't think it ever is the way anyone plans it!

      Delete
    2. Not a misery at all, Cathy. As Barbara said, realistic. And there should be more like you because too many people think retirement will be doing the things they wanted to do in their youth only youth as left the building.

      Delete
  3. One of my neighbors is well past retirement age, single, daughter grown, and doesn't stop working at a job she tired of years ago. She told me she's no idea what to do with herself ! No skills, hobbies, friends outside of work. I was talking with her about getting project work, she's a teacher, to have some structure. She's thinking about it.

    I think it's a good idea already to have interests before retiring, that you can continue. I don't know anyone who really took up new hobbies and skills, though they thought they would.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think an open mind and a willingness to try new things is paramount at any stage of life. How sad your neighbour is still working in a job she doesn't enjoy because she knows no different.

      Delete
  4. That should say daren't not doesn't!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Boud's comment reminded me of my sister-in-law who has retired more times than I can count. However, her skills are so needed that she keeps getting tempted back into the work force by incredibly high offers and then off she goes to do it again for awhile. She was always the breadwinner in her family and now her husband is dead and although she does spend time with her grandchildren and children, she doesn't have any hobbies that I know of. I could be wrong.
    So in her case, working is not a bad way to spend her time and energy.
    Good for you on the weight loss!
    No, life is not so bad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you enjoy your work then go for it. Extra money is never a bad thing. I think the key is to do something you enjoy. Life is too short.

      Delete
  6. Husband adores retirement. So I'm not much use to help you. He potters and enjoys himself. Less pottering and more computer game playing these days! And I have a busy life as a volunteer so we don't have time to get on each other's nerves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like your husband has the right balance.

      Delete
  7. I can't imagine what my husband will do when he retires, nap. He's always said he wants to die in a large explosion with his closest coworkers.

    I'll be happy to retire and I imagine I'll be taking Jack back and forth to school a lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am amazed at the number of grandparents at school pick up these days. I guess we are cheaper than child care.
      I hope the Big Guy doesn't get his wish!

      Delete
  8. The Stalker
    Sometmes it’s a state of mind When my ex retired he took up tap dancing, moved to QLD and reunited with his first love…we remained good friends till the day he died
    My now partner who is younger than me , retired at 60 last year, does some relief teaching, She only does up to 3 days a week which she loves as there no marking marking or meetings and because it is at the school she was at for over 20 years she knows the kids and the system. In a couple of years she will fully retire and we are both ready and willing for that as well. Routines are essential for retirement and for easing into retirement..We are always busy with dogs, seeing films and she loves cooking and we both love gardening .Afternoons are sacred for relaxing and doing what each of us finds our quiet space in . Don’t be fearful, be joyful that you are as well as you can be and you have a freedom that is immeasurable, If
    Good wishes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Stalk. My sister in law is a newly retired teacher and is looking forward to picking up bits of work when she feels like it. As you say, no stress of administration.
      Your description of retirement sounds lovely.

      Delete
  9. Well done on the loss.
    I started yesterday. No more carbs for me.
    Crafting has definitely been a great way to make new friends. But swimming has been as well. There are a few men who swim in the mornings and they will gather in one corner and have a long chat. Kinda like a mens shed in water lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Men's shed in water. Love it. I was looking at swimsuits on line yesterday. My back is telling me I need one.

      Delete