Monday, 30 January 2023

Monday muddlings

 


I pinched this from facebook. It made me giggle and we need more of that in the face of the sadness in the world.

I saw the woman at the job provider. I was meant to see someone else (I have lost count of the number of people I have seen there over the past couple of years - the turnover is amazing) but she agreed to keep me under her as she knows what her notes mean. I no longer have to apply for jobs. I no longer have to see her; I will get messages reminding me of a meeting but she will mark me off, until, hopefully in the not too distant future, I disappear from their system.

Himself made a comment about how much money we are spending. I reminded him that he is always going to Bunnings and made a mental note to stop spending at the yarn store. I could probably never buy a skein of yarn again and still have plenty to leave in my will. I did go and buy the extra skein I needed to finish the weaving. And I did consider the next weaving project using some pretties they had there. Maybe I should sell some of my yarn. It would be a bit like selling your children but I guess some of the cheaper yarn could be considered less worthy of my love. Who am I kidding?

Himself is at the doctor as I write. Repeat scripts and a referral to the cardiologist for his annual review which is overdue because, you know, covid. 

His hearing is getting worse and while he acknowledges it he won't do anything about it. Like wear his hearing aids. Which he got in 2020 and has barely worn. If he goes to another company he will have to buy new ones and if he goes back to Costco he will have to buy another membership to see their audiologist. We went there in the first place because the daughter of a friend worked there but she has moved on to greener pastures. The set up is great and the hearing aids are top quality (fave sis in law used to be an audiologist and she knows these things). I think I need to wait until he feels that his quality of life is being affected - which it is but he hasn't admitted it yet.

Last night's dinner was delicious and I can't get over how good all the home grown veges tasted. Even the spuds. I will definitely grow them again but I need to find a better container.

I have booked a motel in Yass for the trip up and the Mermaid and I will stay in Bateman's Bay, Merimbula and Lakes' Entrance on the way back. Only a few hours drive between each place. The big challenge will be whether I am brave enough to tackle Sydney traffic to collect her from her mum's place on the northern beaches. Sydney drivers are maniacs and their roads are crazy. Their public transport is brilliant, though, I will give them that.

Right, off to look at accommodation for the trip home. They are all lovely beachside places and the schools have gone back so we should have a great time.

23 comments:

  1. Oh what a shame you never met her before…life would have been so much easier.
    And I’ll take summer right through to April please….there are some who wouldn’t but I would

    ReplyDelete
  2. Abode at Malua Bay is really nice for somewhere to stay and right above Raymonds Chinese restaurant which has fabulous food
    Peta

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you stay there ask for the Ocean view rooms... Malua Bay is just down from Bateman's Bay...we go to the restaurant as my sister and her husband live very close to there....Peta

    ReplyDelete
  4. We bought hubby very expensive hearing aides and he has hardly worn them so I don’t bother anymore.
    Don’t sell your babies. You will use it one day.
    Just think next global catastrophe we are all set once again.
    I’ve been been very good. I blocked all ads from hobbii yarn. And I’m avoiding bendigo wool mills as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I keep telling you, you are not speaking clearly enough to Himself.

    I think Melbourne's traffic and drivers are worse than in Sydney but their roads are more convoluted.

    Take your time coming back along the east coast. There is much to see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the reminder, Andrew.
      At least I am familiar with Melbourne drivers!

      Delete
  6. Yay for having your trip planned! It's hard to convince anyone to wear hearing aids (or contact lenses or glasses or any other similar device) before they're ready or see the need.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You sound as if you are speaking from experience, Steve!

      Delete
  7. The difficulty with hearing loss is the impact on the people around them. They may not be concerned with their own quality of life, but it's exhausting to be around someone who can't hear, so you must repeat, or they talk right over you, unaware that you're speaking!

    I've experienced this with a couple of friends, and what a relief when they got, and wore, hearing aids. I believe they're not easy to get used to, or to get correctly fitted to the specific user, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is very isolating, Liz. You can't have a normal conversation as you have to keep repeating yourself so you start to not bother at all.

      Delete
  8. Very familiar story with the hearing aids. My husband won't even consider getting them. Yet. And so he cannot hear me a good deal of the time. Oh well. I rarely say anything of great importance.
    I think you are going to have a fabulous time on your trip. I know it is anxiety-producing to think about and plan these things but once you're on the road, I bet you'll be so glad you're doing it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As long as you keep sharing your wise words with us, Mary.
      The anxiety is real but I will deal with it.

      Delete
  9. You could start talking more quietly, until you're just whispering:)
    Husbands, bah!
    Hope you have a lovely trip and I like those peeping toms.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He barely hears me as it it. Unless I mutter something under my breath with frustration - he hears that alright!

      Delete
  10. Love the peeping toms. I wonder what they were looking at

    ReplyDelete
  11. So envy you your trip - it sounds idyllic! Good luck getting through Sydney, it sounds a bit traumatic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will trust my GPS and my interstate numberplates if I stuff up.

      Delete
  12. The Stalker
    Sparkling ..
    ….on the way home Merimbula or further south…freshest of oysters …it’s beautiful country down that coast to the border and through Gippsland

    Detour via Adelaide first and I will be you co driver 🤣

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A long detour!! It is my favourite part of Victoria and I am so looking forward to it.

      Delete