Friday, 20 January 2023

A day trip

I went to visit Dr and Mrs Teacher at their new property.

This is the map of my journey ...



This is the road heading up to the turn off to their place. To be honest it was in better condition than the highway leading down which was pitted with potholes.


The driveway ..



Views from their place...




The front of their house

with pond



The view of Wilson's Prom ...



The mountain range behind them which one drives through to get there


The house was built about 30 years ago and they bought it from the original owners who actually built it with stone quarried from the land.


The view from the balcony as we were having lunch.




And the drive back home.

South Gippsland is my absolute favourite part of the world and I would live there in a heartbeat.

Several things stop me ...

  1. Cost ... property values have gone through the roof with people leaving the city during Covid.
  2. The distance from the kids
  3. Snakes.
  4. Getting older and the distance from essential amenities.
  5. Snakes
  6. Snakes 
  7. Snakes
Yes I am a wuss. Give me the largest spider known to man and I will deal with it (nicely). But anything that is legless (and I don't mean having had too much to drink) and I freak out. In fact I would prefer a snake over a worm. This is definitely a story for another day!

I had a lovely drive on my own and am now more confident about the trip north.
 

20 comments:

  1. Well done on traveling on your own. I too dislike snakes but for some reason they don’t freak me out as much as a spider. I can’t actually touch, and I have, a snake
    Yes it’s a beautiful part of the country.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Long drives never used to faze me but after the past 3 years I am somewhat out of practice.

      Delete
  2. I've traveled alone several times...gives you a sense of accomplishment! Well done!
    The place is gorgeous!
    hugs
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  3. Until I was 63 when I retired , part of my final job as a Moderator for our examining authority I would do a great deal of travelling by road..one school was 700 km away so I would break it up into an overnight journey . At first I was quite worried but as time went on I absolutely loved it… such freedom and the landscape changed so much. Now we travel a few times a year and while I still love driving it’s great to have someone else share the load . Be alert , take breaks and you will love it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have driven to NSW a few times over the years but nothing during Covid. I am really looking forward to my trip in a couple of weeks. Just have to decide where to break the journey.

      Delete
  4. I was thinking Foster but your bro's house is close to The Prom. It looks so nice. I am a bit puzzled about it being such a long drive though. I hope they fed you good tucker.

    Yep, in your older years don't move away from good medical services.

    I have memories of West Gippsland snakes. One in the toilet pan, one in watering can. But otherwise, no problem. Only Tiger snakes, no problem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, lovely photos too.

      Delete
    2. They are between Foster and Yanakie. The property is nestled between farms. The owners used to own the dairy farm next door then subdivided this bit and built the house. The son still farms next door. They have had a few copperheads. Apparently they keep the tigers down.
      Lunch was lovely and ended with local ice cream.

      Delete
  5. Thank you for the guided tour. I used to think nothing of driving alone long distances, sometimes for work, sometimes visiting friends. Not so much now though. This was a nice day trip.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can see why you'd want to live there. Just beautiful!
    I actually end up enjoying taking longish drives by myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoy long drives in the country. It's the city bits that freak me out a bit. Especially when I get to Sydney.

      Delete
  7. Beautiful landscape. It makes me think of California. That is quite a rugged driveway! I don't mind snakes or spiders as long as they're not actively attacking me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The driveway was flooded in the recent rains so is perhaps more rugged than usual!

      Delete
  8. What a beautiful place and quite expensive, I'm guessing. Did you take the dogs? I'm fine with snakes, it's spiders that give me the willies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All property in that area has skyrocketed. You can see why.
      The dogs stayed home. Maybe next time.

      Delete
  9. Gorgeous views - it looks like a lovely day trip. You must have had a great time with your friends!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was lovely to see my brother and sister in law even though I find her heavy going.

      Delete
  10. What a glorious location. I'm with you on the snakes.

    ReplyDelete