Tuesday, 10 January 2023

Blue

I went to my favourite yarn store today with J and C. We had a wonderful time chatting and knitting and then we had lunch and then we went back and knitted some more. I am making good progress on the colour work jumper I have started for Billie. Audrey's and Henry's will be next. The fabulous Mel helped me work out where I had gone wrong and showed me an easier way to knit colour work (all about holding the yarn) so I am racing along (must remember that thing about pride and falls!). 

I also bought some really interesting yarn to try weaving. It wasn't cheap but I'm worth it! I should get two scarves out of it so that's not bad.

When I came home there was a jacaranda tree sitting in a pot on the front porch.

I had shown Himself a garden nearby which is full of the glorious blues of jacarandas and agapanthus and I said I wanted that look in the back garden with some hydrangeas thrown in for good measure.

He listened and heard me (two different things!)

So next summer I should have one of these




Some of these (if I can work out how to keep the dogs from trampling them)




And of course lots of these. We have them all over the place and Dr Teacher has heaps for me to take as well. Some consider them an invasive weed but until the local council removes them from their own plantings and says no one else can have them I will continue to enjoy their glorious colour - they are everywhere in my suburb.



It is now gin o'clock and scrabble time and I am hot and bothered because it's summer in Melbourne.

I heard back from Two and it is all systems go for my trip to NSW in Feb. Just need to arrange accommodation on the trips up and back and plan what to take. It will be hot and humid. Just my kind of weather. Thank goodness for airconditioning!

18 comments:

  1. Be careful of the jacaranda. I lost mine due to frost. Although we do seem to be in a dip and we get frost where all around us don’t. I was very sad. I love those trees

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tip. We don't seem to get frost here but we will next winter after we plant the tree!

      Delete
  2. Beautiful purple colour all around

    ReplyDelete
  3. The jacaranda is such a brilliant colour. Your garden is going to be ablaze with shades of blue/mauve. Love blue hydrangeas. Unfortunately mine have all turned pink

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love hydrangeas of all colours. Have you tried a supplement?

      Delete
  4. What marvelous color. Your garden will look great. I think your tree will take a couple of years though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I can get the aggies and the hydrangeas in it will be a start.

      Delete
  5. Yes, yes, yes on the plants! Those lavender blues are heavenly. And "agapantha" is one of my favorite words.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had to look up the agapanthus and jacarandas, we don't have those here, obviously. They're beautiful, especially the colours. Strangley enough, I can grow hydrangeas, but only white ones. Further south in Canada they have the blue, purple and pink hydrangeas.

    Your garden will be a see of colour, quite beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it might be a tad cold for the more exotic plants, Pixie!

      Delete
  7. A neighbour had a huge jacaranda that sat over outdoor decking. While it was messy, that didn't last too long and what a display it would put on every year. We had lots of hydrangeas over the years. I really like them and they are so easy to prune.

    Last year City of Port Phillip workers cut all the agapanthus flowers off the bushes in the centre of Bay Street, Port Melbourne, right when they were in full bloom. It hasn't happened this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why on earth did they do that? I know kids will pick the spears in bud and use them as, well, spears.

      Delete
  8. those are pretty colours. Woke up to a sprinkling of snow here in Southern Ontario, Canada

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blazing blue skies, hot sunshine and a gentle breeze. One of Melbourne's better summer days but still a day for indoor with the aircon.

      Delete
  9. My aggies are all out on full bloom. I just love them even if we have to clear a path here and there because they have a tendency to spread a bit. The postie obviously doesn’t share my love - he snapped a few stalks near the post box so the heads were hanging down. Not my fault they were standing up right next to it.
    Snails find them delicious- I’m sure they have dormitories tucked away in amongst the leaves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothing better than mass blooms of aggies. I understand the snail situation but if they stay there we can accommodate one another!

      Delete