Sunday, 29 January 2023

Centrelink must hate me

"I had an appointment with my job provider. When I got there I found that Centrelink had granted my medical exemption til the end of March at which time I will be old and can claim the age pension. This was after them sending me a letter - on paper, no less - saying my claim had been rejected. A wasted trip but a great outcome. I am now free of applying for jobs for ever unless I actually want one."

I posted the above on Monday 16th. When I got home I checked the relevant govt. site and sure enough, I was not required to submit proof of job searches.

This morning I got a text message reminding me of my appointment with my job provider tomorrow morning. I checked the relevant govt. site and just like that, I am back in the system required to apply for at least 5 jobs between 16/1 and 15/2. I whipped off 3 applications - it is all academic now as I will not be following up but I need to provide evidence to keep getting the unemployment benefit until I turn 66 and a half IN FIVE FUCKING WEEKS! Whereupon I will be eligible for the age pension.

This has turned my day on its head and ramped my anxiety up. It doesn't sound like much to those who haven't been in the system but it is almost paralysing. I don't like being on unemployment but there is no other option. I could apply for a disability pension but that takes months so is pointless. It is also nigh impossible to get these days. I have nursed cancer patients who were denied it because they might get better and they have tightened things up even more since then.

Yesterday I ran out of yarn for my weaving so I need to get down to the yarn shop quickly as they only had two skeins of it left on Tuesday. I will do that tomorrow. 

Part of the anxiety is due, I think, to feeling the pressure of the upcoming trip. I need to talk to the Mermaid to work out where we will stay and for how long. 

I am getting my eyes tested on Tuesday (just the overdue annual check-up) and will see if I can find a hairdresser to trim my shaggy locks. I am feeling like a badly groomed old English sheep dog.



Now I am going to have another look at potential stop overs on the way home and try to get some decisions made.

Then I will pick some beans and harvest some potatoes to have with the steak with a creamy mustard and cider vinegar sauce we are having for dinner. 

I must keep reminding myself of the quote at the top of my blog. Life just goes on.

17 comments:

  1. I really dislike the phrase "of a day" or "of a night" when a person might say they do this or that rather than ...during the day /night...I do this or that...lol...hope that makes sense...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It makes perfect sense. I wonder if people use these phrases cos they think it makes them sound smart!

      Delete
  2. I realise I forgot to put my name on the post....Peta

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a few more I don't like...I don't like people "telling how it is" it is only saying how it is for THEM !!! also "to their credit " is one I don't like either...lol. Peta

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "With all due respect ......" And "Not meaning to be rude ..." -

      Delete
  4. Centerlink is the worst. No two people talk to each other in that place and no one knows what the hell is going on.
    I thank god I don’t have to deal with them. It’s just not worth the pain, stress and aggravation for the pittance they dish out like it’s a bloody fortune.
    Just breathe and yes you will soon be free of the mandatory applying of jobs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The lovely lady at the job provider and made it so no more job applications. Yippee!

      Delete
  5. Yesterday on Twitter I read of Centrelink nightmare treatment of an honest person over many years, never mind what it is coming out of the Robodebt enquiry. You've just added a bit more of the Centrelink nightmare. How good that you will soon be so old, you receive a government old age pension, no questions asked until you win
    Tattslotto. It amused me to read that an amputee had to provide evidence each year to Centrelink that they were still an amputee.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know a lot is generated automatically but surely there is a human being in there somewhere. Or is it mandatory to work for Centrelink you need to be a heartless sod.

      Delete
  6. That sounds like a nightmare to deal with. Bureaucracy gone wild.

    After my husband's death, a final bill came to him for his hospice stay (mostly covered) marked TO BE OPENED BY ADDRESSEE ONLY! Quite a trick.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That happens too often. What are these people thinking?

      Delete
  7. Bureaucrazy is more like it.
    Good lord.
    Breathe. Five more weeks. You can do it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 4 weeks and 5 days. I can do this. Then I start the dance with superannuation funds and centrelink but they don't treat you like a criminal with the age pension. Unemployment assumes everyone is useless bludger.

      Delete
  8. Life isn’t meant to be lived at full speed you know - it’s good to have slow days….even those ‘full stop’ ones

    Centrelink played tricks with me as well……couldn’t get unemployment benefits at one time because The Golfer was working - when he retired and I was no longer working couldn’t get ‘partner’s pension’ as it was then (scheme had just finished)so had to follow the same rigmarole as you. Look for a job (or then it became volunteer) and we’ll give you a little bit of cash until you qualify. Didn’t want to get older but was pleased when I did.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have lived my dilemma, Cathy. I hate wishing my life away.

      Delete
  9. I couldn’t get the pension until I was 75 because my partner was still working .
    When she retired I did , she gets job seeker because she only works a couple of days a week but over Christmas got exemption till the end of this year because her part time job has a break over Christmas Could you go to the Dr and get a certificate to say you are unwell with anxiety because as you said you are… also see your financial planner. Ours was most helpful with this .The Centrelink offices are unhelpful and often rude these days and give you wrong information ..it’s also probably better to phone them…their phone line has up to date information hope this helps

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have had certificates. They were accepted until the last one, which would have taken me to retirement, was rejected. Work that clever bit of thinking out!

      Delete