Sunday, 15 January 2023

Feeling a bit more human

The dogs started hassling us. Himself grumbled "alright, alright, I'll get up" which usually means I get up. I don't mind as it's usually around 8am at this stage (yes we sleep late). It was 11! 

He finally surfaced at 1.15. I think we were both very sleep deprived. 

Needless to say not a lot has been achieved today. I did water the very thirsty garden. The last couple of days have been terribly hot but today is much cooler. The pumpkin plant has gone ballistic! The zucchini is still producing. The strawberry plants are trying to take over the vege pod. The beans are struggling. The tomatoes are starting to ripen. The two remaining potato tubs should have nicely growing spuds in them. I did harvest some for dinner the other night. I had a teeny tiny one to taste and it was very nice. It would have been better if it had been a large bowl smothered in melted butter and chopped chives but I need to shift this weight so that will be a treat for another time.

I dumped another kilo this week taking it to 3.9 kilos in two weeks. 

We went to the supermarket. Himself flinches at the checkout but I keep reminding him it is two or three times a week and not every day.  And we bought things like Lady Grey teabags and olive oil which were half price but still costly. And a large box of nutrigrain for Sally's breakfast on Thursday - she can take the rest home which helps them a little bit. I must say, the Twinings tea bags at half price are not far short of what full price used to be not that far back in the past. I really do feel for those struggling financially. First and foremost Three and his lot. And as he rightly points out, if you are financially strapped all the cost saving measures like buying in bulk don't work because you don't have the money to spend on bulk in the first place so you are forced to pay what can afford which works out to be more in the long run. Add greedy landlords (or more to the point, greedy real estate agents who encourage landlords to up the rent) and life and the future are rather grim.

On that cheerful note I shall go and set up for scrabble. Sally is being dropped off at 8.30 tomorrow morning. Thank god I slept in today!


My new favourite word courtesy of Lily. The things you read to work out how to build something? Constructions.

You're welcome.

16 comments:

  1. It’s supposed to heat up again in the next few days.
    Process as much from your garden for future use. That will help take the edge off the price rises.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This year has been trial and error. Next year I will plan differently.

      Delete
  2. I think your dogs' behaviour is very reasonable by demanding to be let out at 8am.

    I think because of the great potato shortage, our frozen chips tonight were dreadful. They were a golden kind of colour and I think they were sweet potato. I only had a couple. Awful. So can you send me some spuds, cut up for chips and par boiled?

    Four kilo loss in two weeks will be mostly fluid, yes?

    Three makes a very good point.

    As once very good landlords, the system treated us quite badly. One year we kept the rent at the same level as the former year and would have done it again, but she left. Another time someone tried to delay signing the lease so that the next rental increase would be delayed. One tenant left he place damaged with holes punched into walls and a door. Yes, we made a great capital gain but owning the flat was always negative income and we paid a lot of tax when we sold it. We never received any bond money back. Maybe the agent we employed, known at times as Shocking Stupid or something like that was slack for owners.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They have usually been let out around 6am. I would love to send you some spuds. Andrew c/- highrise apartment in St Kilda Rd?
      The loss is fluid but I am feeling less bloated. The numbers are encouraging for future efforts.
      There is a real estate company which sound like a prostitute which is renowned for pushing owners to up the rent. There is also a type of landlord who buy for quick turnarounds and profit which is so hard on tenants. I wish Three had a landlord like you and R.

      Delete
  3. Congratulations on the almost 9lb weight loss!!! I've just started on my 20lb loss journey. Really ate too much over these last months...time to stop!
    hugs
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Once the head is in the right place it becomes so much easier.

      Delete
  4. Good that you can grow food to offset the price increases. Also homegrown is so good. And yes on the cost of being poor! You can't afford high end boots, eg, which would last years so you have to buy cheaper, they don't last, and you're spending more, in installments. This is something advisers often don't grasp. Buy the best, they say, well, yes, but you can't always.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Liz, you have hit the nail on the head. The number of shoes (steel cap) Three has gone through would have bought a decent pair up front.

      Delete
  5. Too bad you can't grow tea! You're right- cost saving measures only work to a certain extent and you have to be able to afford them which makes no sense but here we are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As Three pointed out to me yesterday, housing used to be a right, a need. Think Maslow's hierarchy. It is now a commodity and those on limited incomes are the ones suffering.

      Delete
  6. I cook less meat now and stretch it out further, much to the chagrin of my hubby. He thinks you need large amounts of meat to survive. He's wrong of course.

    I'm looking forward to my garden again come springtime. It does my heart good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to see your spring garden, Pixie. I know the winter is challenging but the wait must be worth it.
      It makes me so cross that junk food is affordable but decent, nourishing food is often out of reach of those that really need it. I see parents getting slammed for giving their kids cheap takeaways but sometimes that is all they can afford.

      Delete
  7. Are rent subsidies available for those on low income or is it on those on Centrelink payments?
    Obviously my head can’t grasp the notion of finding the right place - those kgs love living on my body. But you’re not fat people say, well try fitting my body into last year’s (and the years before) clothes I say. They change tactics and use the words ‘pleasantly plump’ otherwise known as overweight! Next blouse/shirt size is a 20!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I swear the sizing gets smaller every year.
      Three and Amy aren't considered low income because they are just above the line so they aren't eligible for any benefits yet struggle. That line is so arbitrary and I don't think has been moved for years. The soaring cost of living is putting so many families under pressure.

      Delete
  8. Oh to lose 3.9 kilos... I have no idea how to even start losing now. Well done you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fast800. They have a keto plan that would suit you I'm sure

      Delete