I have done very little today other than sit inside and weave. It is too hot to do anything else.
While I was weaving I got to thinking about words and phrases that annoy me.
One of my least liked phrases is "Sorry for your loss". It is up there with "Have a nice day" for insincere sounding fluff.
Surely if one knows the bereaved person one can say something with a bit more of a personal touch. If one is speaking with the bereaved in the course of one's employment then something along the lines of "I'm sorry to intrude at a time like this"
I know it is considered good manners but it is like fingernails on a blackboard to me! What is wrong with "I was so sorry to hear about ..." or "I am so sad to hear that ... has passed away" (passed and passed away are not high on my list of preferred phrases either but "died" is considered harsh by some). If you don't know the bereaved and have just been told then "I am sorry to hear that" should cover it.
This has been bugging me for a while. I think I have seen it said too many times on TV shows. Even on historical shows.
I probably need to get a life. And watch some different shows.
What phrases give you the irrits* (to use a glorious Australian word)?
*irrits
- feelings of extreme annoyance or irritation."his constant criticizing gives me the irrits"
I don’t mind the “sorry for your loss”. And I’ve used it myself
ReplyDeleteIt’s the “sending prayers” that annoys me. Especially after a major catastrophe. Keep your prayers. Send food, clothes, blankets, money
Yup. We are both grumpy middle age women. I wonder if the heat has anything to do with it?
Let's blame the heat! And I agree, people feel they have done something by sending prayers rather than do something actually useful.
DeleteIrrits! I had forgotten that word. Derivation of irritation I guess, but perhaps a politer way to say shits.
ReplyDeleteYep, rephrase Sorry for your loss with your own heart felt words. I agree with you. Someone has died, not passed on. They are dead, not passed. Nonsense language.
I think my hatred of our former Prime Minister Scott Morrison increased by volumes when he offered 'prayers and thoughts'. Do people kneel and pray after writing that? There are many different written ways to be kind to people without meaningless prayers.
When someone says they will pray for me I get intensely annoyed. I don't want your damn prayers. If you do want to pray for me, do so without boasting about it.
DeleteHere there's so much scorn for " thoughts and prayers " particularly from politicians whose votes caused the tragedy. Now the riposte is "tots and pears" -- Tater Tots, that is.
ReplyDeleteIt seems a world wide sentiment, Liz.
DeleteYes. "Sorry for your loss," has become a phrase with very little meaning behind it. Ugh. Of course, knowing what to say in such situations is hard at best.
ReplyDeleteHere in the states, people sometimes say, "Have a blessed day," which makes my teeth hurt. Okay, okay. You're a Christian. I get it.
Oh, being wished a blessed day would have me breaking out in hives.
DeleteYes, "passed on" and religious references to where the deceased has gone, bothers me. as I don't believe in a supreme being. However, each to their own beliefs, I say.
ReplyDeleteI have no issue with other people's beliefs as long as they keep them to themselves!
Delete