Sally was dropped off at 8.30.
Amy was telling me that yesterday they went to the Moonlight Sanctuary which is a place where you can go and see native animals and feed the wallabies etc. The wallabies and roos are behind a fence and you can feed the through the wires. More a suggestion than an actual fence and to keep the public out I am guessing. Anyway, they purchased the roo food and went to feed them. Every time a wallaby (or as Three called them when he was young, Wabballies) came near adults (of the human kind) came racing over and pushed Sally and other kids out of the way so they and their families could feed the animal. They were, without exception, a certain ethnicity and I was trying to explain to Sally that they weren't deliberately trying to hurt her feelings but some cultures do things differently. A difficult discussion to have as there is a sense of entitlement among some of these people and they do look down on those of us who are different from them. I must say I am getting sick of hearing about how racist white Australians are when the coin can just as easily be flipped the other way. No doubt that will be an unpopular opinion.
I had an appointment with my job provider. When I got there I found that Centrelink had granted my medical exemption til the end of March at which time I will be old and can claim the age pension. This was after them sending me a letter - on paper, no less - saying my claim had been rejected. A wasted trip but a great outcome. I am now free of applying for jobs for ever unless I actually want one.
A huge load lifted.
Grumpy took Sally to the park while I was gone and when I got home she wanted to go to the shop. Silly Grumpy should have taken her while I was out and she would have got an ice cream. Granny got her the ice cream AND a tub of lollies AND a whistle lollipop. Grumpy and Granny got an ice cream as well.
We played a game of scrabble and I managed to inhale the vinegar from the cocktail onions. We have cheese, pickled stuff and berries as our scrabble nibbles instead of crap. I swear my airway spasmed shut. I couldn't breathe. It was terrifying. I forced myself to breathe out and could so kept telling myself I would be ok. A glass of cold water and lots of coughing and wheezing and I was able to take a breath in. Not a deep one, but a breath nonetheless. I have never been so frightened in my life. I had a glimpse of what it must be like to suffocate or drown and it just emphasises that this is my least favourite way to die.
What is your preferred way of shuffling off the mortal coils?
I'm also sick and tired of hearing about how the 12% here in the States are telling anyone who will listen how racist whites are. They have Every opportunity and more to have a wonderful life...instead of taking responsibility for theeir Own lives.
ReplyDeleteI'll shut up now...
hugs
Donna
I think the pendulum has swung a bit too far the other way.
DeleteIt sounds as if you had a laryngeal spasm. I get them and usually survive. Yes, they're terrifying. But they pass. I usually alerted people around me such as workmates, in case one happened, not to do the Heimlich maneuver! My dentist has a note on my chart that I can't be treated lying down, for this reason. They can be triggered by things like vinegar, or allergens, such as mold spores.
ReplyDeleteThank you, Liz. It has never happened before but I will be mindful not to inhale vinegar again.
DeleteI think it would have been wise to have a word with whoever was in charge, to allow all the children to feed the animals. Aggression, from any quarter, is best responded to immediately, with quiet words. Even if not effective, they would show the children a more considerate way of behaving.
ReplyDeleteAs would commenting calmly and without blanket, angry, statements.
I don't think it was aggression - more ignorance.
DeleteThat sounds terrifying! Whoa! Has that ever happened to you before? Sounds like Boud may be right.
ReplyDeleteIt was a first and, I hope, the last.
DeleteI love that Boud said, she usually survives.
ReplyDeleteAs for me, I want to die in my garden, when I'm a very old lady but still able to get around and remember the names of my plants. A sunny day, in a comfortable chair. If I end up with dementia, I will choose medical assistance in dying, or just wander off into the mountains. I'm a planner:)
I am glad she usually survives!
DeleteYour planning sounds perfect. Just let them know not to spend time and resources looking for you in the mountains!!
It’s interesting when you take the doggos to the beach…because ours are standard long haired dachshunds , they stand out from the crowd…particularly when they swim..both are social and love kids and people
ReplyDeleteSome kids want to touch them on the head which as you know Sparkling, is a no no…most kids listen and we have been doing our teacher thing explaining to the kids the rules ie Ask parents if it’s ok then show the kids how to pat them, most parents really appreciate this Todays parents are so aware of dog safety..
Perhaps the sanctuary needs to do some education and manners training or use signs to indicate protocols
As for choking…a vermicelli noodle almost did me the other night, a sip of wine fixed it Good wishes
Ps The Stalker
DeleteWine fixes most things. Those noodles can be deadly.
DeleteWith two large German Shepherds we don't get many people just running up to us but most kids will ask for a pat.
We went to Moonlight Sanctuary a few years at night time. It was just brilliant and I highly recommend it. Yes, I have become skilled as I stand back as people leave trams at blocking certain people from pushing on in front of me.
ReplyDeleteBleeding to death is messy, but quite peaceful I believe. Perhaps a packet of crisps is a more healthy option than cocktail onions.
It's not far from us and I have been meaning to go. I am glad you liked it as some of these places can be less than good.
DeleteInternal bleeding would probably be better. External could incite panic.
People of all ethnic, colours and creeds can be so rude. And yes I agree. The tide is turning and whites are too frightened of being labeled to say anything. Hopefully it will settle and real racism is dealt with and the imagined kind disappears.
ReplyDeleteGlad your ok. That would be frightening. Not being able to breath.
My preferred way I guess would be to go to sleep and never wake up.
The sad thing is when kids are taught to hate/fear those who are different. Then the whole mess is perpetuated.
DeleteNot waking up would be perfect.