Sally was dropped off at 8.30 this morning. Time to wolf down a bowl of nutrigrain (how can kids talk and eat at the same time?) and then off to the first of her two day dance intensive. She was over the moon with excitement, coupled with lack of sleep because last night was hot and muggy and I am glad I didn't have to deal with her!
As part of the dance thing they decorated cup cakes. I don't know, either. She came home covered in chocolate frosting so her tights and leotard are in the dryer as I write.
She is still full of energy even though she barely ate anything in her lunch box. She had some of her lunch sandwich (Granny put her foot down) and the cupcake she decorated when she got home. Dinner will be interesting as we are having taco mince with corn chips but I don't use a packet taco mix. I also put capsicum in mine. I can see her eating corn chips and cheese but I don't mind.
I then got the questions. I will share so we can all contemplate the complexities of the universe.
- Where does the air come from?
- Why is water slippery?
- Why is glass fragile?
- Why is the inside of the window dirtier than the outside? (this one I could answer - sticky fingers and snotty dogs - and a Granny who can't be arsed cleaning the damn things)
- What is the point of space?
As John Grey says, answers on the back of a postcard please.
Which reminds me, do you remember the days when radio and TV stations would run competitions and you had to write the answer on the back of the envelope? They wouldn't open the envelope. And if you wanted a fact sheet from a DIY or gardening programme (remember them? - fact sheets, not the programmes) you had to send in a stamped, self-addressed envelope.
Two and his brothers used to watch some kids' programme on Saturday mornings. Unbeknownst to me he had entered a competition to win a Super Nintendo. The next Saturday I was greeted with cries of "Mum, Mum, I won". Sure you did, darling, I responded, but you have to enter these things to win them. "I did, Mum, I did". "Yes, Mum, he did". I must ask him how he managed to post that envelope as I'm sure it wasn't a phone competition. They were still to come.
Speaking of Two. He is testing strongly positive for Covid which is a worry with wee Henry but they had the appointment with the paediatric ENT dude who assured them that as long as he is feeding, gaining weight, sleeping and is happy (all of which he is) there is nothing to worry about and he will grow out of his noisy breathing.
Three just rang. They have been having ongoing issues with a water leak that resulted in their water usage going through the roof, to the point that SE water contacted them alerting them to the excess usage. The landlord/estate agent have refused to compensate them for the excess water bill which they are obliged to do under the tenancy act plus they took way too long to address the problem in the first place, which resulted in the excess water usage. The leak has been fixed and they have the plumber's report saying there was a leak that resulted in water loss. Guess who's going to VCAT?
*for overseas/interstate people South East Water is the body that supplies and manages our water and sewerage and VCAT is the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal which is responsible for dealing with these issues. They can be a toothless tiger but in this instance, with the tenancy act so obviously ignored, Three et al stand a chance of a resolution in their favour.
I am now going to pour a gin and ponder what exactly is the point of space.
I asked my father some tricky questions at times, one being 'What is there after outer space ends?'. His reply must have been unsatisfactory as I still don't know. At times you have to reply, I just don't know, or that is how it is.
ReplyDeleteAh, I remember those competitions, back in the days when media gave out postal box numbers to enter.
It depends on the amount of money involved for the excess water charge, but at times you can make a stand on principle and win but do you win long term with a landlord? Sometimes it is better and easier to just wear an injustice. I am pleased Three is making a stand though. Please keep us informed.
The amount was fairly substantial (to the point SE water contacted them) and it is obvious it was the leak as it stopped as soon as the leak was fixed. They have worn a few injustices with this agent and I think this is the final straw.
DeleteI'm sorry Two has tested positive for covid...hope he doesn't feeltoo bad!!
ReplyDeletehugs
Donna
He says he is ok. But that's Two.
DeleteGood news about the baby among all these notes, yay!
ReplyDeleteI remember the days of the SASE! In all sorts of contexts. My nephew was a great questioner, my sister's favorites being what color is blue? And how high is up?
How high IS up I wonder.
DeleteJack always has questions like that as well, questions that require long, indepth coversations that he's not able to understand yet. He's fascinated by the human body, poop-what is it made of? He often stumps me.
ReplyDeleteSorry to hear that your son is sick and that your other son has to deal with an asshole landlord.
I love the way children's minds work. They keep us on our toes.
DeleteThe worries over children and grandchildren never end, do they? Ever, ever, ever. I guess they do the day we die. Our worries, at least.
ReplyDeleteAs to the question about glass being so fragile- you have reminded me that I need to order more martini glasses.
Dang it.
Oh dear. Make sure the new glasses aren't as fragile!
DeleteLandlords! Argh!
ReplyDeleteIs Sally doing an interpretive dance with cupcakes, perhaps?!
That is an idea I won't be putting to her! I can just imagine the result.
DeleteI think I would of loved to see her coming out of dancing covered in chocolate. A great pic to send to her mum lol
ReplyDeleteCouncil originally knocked back our application to work from home. We took them to VCAT and we won. Have faith
Sometimes VCAT comes good. I am hoping they get someone who knows the act.
Delete