Himself goes to a tech group at the Shed on Friday afternoons. They look at new stuff that's out there and learn new programs. Recently he learnt how to use a free product that colourises old black and white photos. Really good for a freebie.
Yesterday they looked at a new Google product that uses AI to write speeches or academic papers. This scares me witless. Plagiarism has always been an issue at tertiary institutions as has the practice of paying others to write your papers. There is software out there that can look for plagiarism so that issue is sort of in hand. Using others to write for you? Not sure what is happening there. But they are both banned and can result in fail grades.
Using AI to write? This is a whole new ballgame. I asked Himself to give me 1000 words on the management of VRSA in an oncology environment. You can't do a lot in 1000 words but what I got was accurate and would have been perfectly acceptable at a first year nursing level. And it was referenced. How would the academic marking the paper know who it was written by? If you ask the same question again and again you get a different paper each time.
What concerns me is what will happen if this is our future. How will we know that our doctors, teachers, nurses, paramedics, lawyers, accountants etc have actually studied the course and written the papers they are graded on?
This is still in the works and those who are playing with it are contributing to the ongoing development but what I saw yesterday was enough to raise concerns.
On a completely different note ...
Do you have a song that you really like but your partner can't stand? Or vice versa?
I like this and Himself will leave the room if it comes on or switch the station if we're in the car!
Maybe in the future doctors, nurses, teachers will all be robots. Humans won’t be able to compete with them. They’ll be smarter, won’t need rest breaks and if they break down just put in new parts.
ReplyDeleteI’m with you. I love that song
But will they be able to think outside the box?
DeleteI don't know the song....I think I am on your OH's side...it's a bit of a dirge, and I am not keen on the fella's voice. Sorry!
ReplyDeleteMy husband leaves when I am watching certain TV progs. We do have his TV and my TV so he just goes an watches his!
Haha. Himself's comments exactly
DeleteIt's a classic Aussie song but doesn't do much for me.
ReplyDeleteEducation institutions are well aware of AI and markers are very tuned into plagiarism. The tech is still a bit raw but will soon become perfect soon enough. There must be a new way found of checking what students have learnt, rather than what they may have printed using AI.
My partner probably doesn't like that I like '90s Euro electronic dance music.
We can only hope.
DeleteCan we see you dancing to said music?
As an old time LVN, (1976) I see many instances...Many...of the lack of teaching of the newer generations of nurses! THAT is scary! Schools hustle new students into classes for 10 to fifteen thousand dollars rush them through, graduate them then on to the new classes...
ReplyDeleteA new student gave my Dad an injectable antibiotic...and immediately left the room! I was stunned...got up from my chair to go out to Find said nurse...but before I could get out the door, Dad went into anaphylactic shock! If I hadn't been there, Dad would have died...A good nurse or Dr knows to NEVER leave the patients room after giving an injection of Anything for at least 15 minutes...
Do I trust the future of any field of study these days? No and Hell no...This is everywhere!
Going to go bang my head against the door now...lolol
You definitely got me going this morning!lolol
hugs
Donna
Donna, I am glad you were there for your dad.
DeleteI was supervising nurses from overseas who were supposedly qualified and experienced. Bloke comes into emergency ?stroke nil by mouth ... she tried to give him water while he was flat on his back.
About robots: a couple of years ago a friend had her gall bladder removed by a robot! There was a surgeon there, too, but the funny part was that the surgeon had to wait his turn to book the robot. He was no longer the boss of the OR.
ReplyDeleteMy TKR had a robot involved but the surgeon still had the final say.
DeleteFunnily enough, I was just talking to my daughter who is a nurse about whether or not humans will be doing nursing/medical care in twenty years. One would think that nothing could replace a doctor, a nurse, an aide, but I don't know. Perhaps we can all be replaced.
ReplyDeleteHuman touch will, or at least should, never be replaced.
DeleteIt was the one thing I drummed into my student nurses. Taking a pulse might be the only touch that person experiences today.
Hopefully schools will figure out a way to recognize the AI produced papers, or perhaps more in person tests would work to test the knowledge of the students.
ReplyDeleteWe can hope, Pixie
DeleteIt's terrifying. We spend a lot of time teaching kids how to take notes and write papers without inadvertently plagiarizing. (And certainly not to deliberately plagiarize.) But yeah, where does this AI stuff end? At some point we need to use and train our own brains!
ReplyDeleteAnd there you have it, Steve. The brains or lack thereof
DeleteI've never heard that song but it wouldn't be on my list :) Regarding the AI writing of papers, we were discussing this recently with a lady developing anti-viral medication and she said exactly the same thing as you. Scary stuff.
ReplyDeleteIt is frightening
DeleteWe were talking about this form of AI as a family last weekend. It's certainly very clever. It can write stories and novels, poetry and rap.
ReplyDeleteDo you not find it a bit disturbing?
Delete