The girls were dropped off and One and Ebs took Goose to the vet for the final time.
The girls had been told age appropriately what was happening but they haven't encountered the permanent loss of death before. Lily drew the heart on my path because she missed Goose and she put a dog bone in the middle of it. She picked some roses for mummy to take to the dog vet to give to Goose. I think they know she isn't coming home but think she is at the vet. This is fine until they are old enough to understand. Ivy was just focussed on doing Ivy stuff as only a three year can do.
At least they weren't given some bullshit story about Goose being sent to a farm or given to another family as I know some people have told their kids.
After they left we had a game of scrabble (we are now 3:2 to me) and I prepared dinner.
I made salmon patties with salad and put fresh chilli in the salad to compliment the Asian flavours of the patties.
At some point I rubbed my eye. It has almost stopped stinging!
The girls and I harvested one of the spud tubs. I think we got about a dozen. I didn't take a photo as I was too busy supervising and Ivy insisted they had to go back to her house and she had to rebury some in some dirt so daddy could dig them out. They also picked some carrots and beans. I loved the way Ivy just yanked at anything in the hope it might be a carrot. I think the capsicum will survive. Not sure about the yellow bean.
Max hid the entire time they were here and is now running round and round the house, taking the 5 stairs into the top room in two jumps and coming down in one leap.
I am now going to watch some telly and have an earlyish night. I am still rather tired.
Before I go though, Happiest of Birthdays to Angela. May you have many more. Who'd a thunk a little blog writing would have led to a meet up with such a beautiful soul. And she loves yarn and gardening.

Prayers for Goose...it's never easy.
ReplyDeletehughugs
Donna
Thank you Donna. One texted me a few times last night. It had sunk in and Lily was a bit upset.
DeleteYou are right about dogs being sent to farms. Kids need to know about death as part of life. They need to learn grieving in their own way.
ReplyDeleteOh dear, chilli eye. Not good, and Max has gone manic. Salmon patties. That will be my reply when I am next asked what do I want for dinner.
Yes, happy birthday to Angela.
Salmon patties made with fresh salmon - the best and so easy.
DeleteYou know, come to think of it, I still have no idea what happened to our dog Snoopy when I was a child...
ReplyDeleteThe heart is perfect.
Poor Snoopy.
DeletePoor Goose but I'm glad she won't suffer. I've been wondering what to tell Jack when it's time to take Lucy to the vet for the last time. Her CHF continues to worsen. I'm not going to lie to him but not sure how much to tell him either. How much was Lily told?
ReplyDeleteI can find out the exact words they used. It was about going to the vet because she was so sick (she had a tumour in her vulva which would bleed if knocked- it had grown very quickly and the kids could see it so they knew she was sick) and the vet giving her an injection and Goose going to heaven where she wouldn't be sick anymore but she wouldn't be coming home. Ivy is the same age as Jack and I don't think she really took it in. Lily is 5 and understood a bit more.
DeleteI'm sure the reality of the Goose situation will come to the kids over time, at least to Lily. It's one thing to be told Goose isn't coming home but it's another to see that it's really true. :(
ReplyDeleteYour family has a good way to handle this sad time. Lucky kids not being lied to.
ReplyDeleteLies will always be found out - even years down the track - and just lead to distrust and dismay.
DeleteThank you. I’m so happy we met in real life.
ReplyDeleteI love how your harvesting with your grandchildren. That’s how it all began for me. Harvesting with my grandmother. Then onto planting and cooking.
The wheel keeps turning.
Now I just have to get the little urchins to eat the stuff. Although Ivy did munch on a cherry tomato.
Delete