Monday, 15 November 2021

Ovens

Another cold squally day.

I made some brioche hot dog rolls. They didn't work out. I think I might have used too much water. They taste ok but didn't double in size and are quite dense. I have one more packet and will make a loaf and accept that brioche rolls are best purchased. Especially from Aldi.

Himself bought some caraway seeds yesterday so the next loaf will be the sourdough rye with said seeds. Lovely.

It rained fairly heavily overnight. As a result I have two very muddy dogs and a very muddy floor. I am not even going to attempt to clean the floor and the dogs will brush off when they're dry.

The annoying knock is still there. Himself will have to get right under the house to fix that. Rather him than me.

When I went to bake the rolls the oven door handle fell off which meant I had to manhandle (haha) the door open. That might account for the lack of success of the rolls as there was a gap at the top of the door. Himself has gone looking at new stoves. The problem is this is a 700mm wide which is unusual (why am I not surprised). The internal measurements of the oven are more like a 600 and I would really like a 900. To get the 900 would involve cutting the marble benchtop. Which could crack. And with our luck probably would. I don't even know if they make 700mm anymore. In our last house I bought a pyrolytic oven (it self cleans) and I loved it. 


* * * * * * * * * * * *

Well, surprise, surprise, no one stocks 700mm ovens. They are available but ....

Himself came back and picked me up and we went to Harvey Norman to check out the 900 and 600 to get an idea.

We are going to a manufacturer's showroom tomorrow to look at one but it seems that they plonk 600mm ovens in a 700mm body. We looked at 900mm but the ovens are way too big for what we would use. Even when all the kids were at home I doubt I would have used it and it just uses more energy to heat. So it looks as if it will be a 700 but what brand remains to be seen. I really don't want to buy anything that expensive sight unseen.

We came home and heated up the hot dogs and had them in the rolls. OMG. Disaster. They were hard and dry and not what I expected at all. At this stage I am thinking too much water and a dodgy oven. Obviously I won't be baking until the oven is replaced or fixed.

Dinner won't be what I planned (baked fish and veges). Wonder if I can talk Himself into cooking a steak.


8 comments:

  1. I really don’t understand how they can stop making somethings.
    If the oven goes you pretty much have to redo the whole kitchen.
    Mine went about 18 months ago. And I Had a mini heart attack. But the oven man replaced the element and it’s still going

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Angela, I was terrified that would be the case. This oven has never been good (uneven heating, burns things etc) but the thought of a new kitchen is too expensive to consider. We will choose an oven that will go in a new kitchen if we ever get around to it. The seal and element have been replaced. I hate it!

      Delete
  2. Yeah, ovens here are pretty well the standard 600mm, as are hotplates. I think 900mm is the American standard, to fit in a large Thanksgiving turkey. They have big 'fridges and big ovens there.
    'We' hardly use our oven since we bought an air fryer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We love our air fryer and I also have a slow cooker but some things need the oven. I would never get the use out of a 900mm.

      Delete
  3. Hope you find an oven to fit your space, a kitchen re-do is terribly expensive.
    We have a size concern with our fridge if it even breaks down and we need a new one. Currently it makes a terrible noise once in awhile, but works like a charm, fingers crossed it stays that way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I will settle for the 700 cooktop and 600 oven. We bought a new fridge when we moved (the old one didn't fit) so it had better not pack up for a good while!

      Delete
  4. They say problems come in threes. I hope you have come to the end of the trials and tribulations of home ownership!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chris, I wish it was just threes! Since we moved in 4 years ago we've had to replace the dishwasher, the range hood, the washer and dryer (although they came with us and were over 10 years old) the driveway, the garage door, the central heating ... the list just doesn't stop. Just as well we like living here.

      Delete