Saturday, 30 April 2022

A day out.

For the first time since 2019 we have our annual Home Show. It is held at Jeff's Shed and in the past has had some good exhibits. We (as did all of Melbourne, methinks) had free tickets so off we went.

This year wasn't quite the same but we have had Covid, businesses have suffered and this was the first weekend with something on since we have been released from house arrest government restrictions. It was packed even though ticket allocations were supposed to distribute numbers across the day.

There were a lot (and I mean A LOT) of massage chairs all full of punters. I guess they had to fill the space with something.

There were a lot of kids that I felt so sorry for because it is not a kid friendly event. All they would see is a sea of knees.

Double glazing, tiny houses, anything with eco in the name. Gadgets no-one needs (but we buy anyway). Questionable decorating ideas. 

We bought a window cleaning robot to clean the high outside windows (old men don't climb ladders) and a wicking plant pod. Please see comment above re gadgets!

I am hoping the planter thingy will let me grow veges without the devastation caused by bugs and dogs. 

On the way in we drove up St Kilda Rd. I realised I was in Andrew territory and had a stalker's good look at the high rise blocks to see if I recognised any landmarks. It made me realise how many buildings I had assumed were commercial were, in fact, residential.

On the way home we drove back through South Melbourne and did a reminiscent tour of places Himself remembered from living there in the 50s and 60s.

Then through to Middle Park, St Kilda and down by the bay to Frankston then home. It was windy and the bay was whipped into lots of white caps. A lovely drive.

Himself has now gone for pizza.

A lovely Saturday.


10 comments:

  1. It feels like century’s since I went to a home show
    I really don’t need to see all the new fangled pretties.
    I don’t have the money to redo stuff just because it’s old
    It still works. Just like me. Old but I still work lol
    Hope you had a fun day out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Angela, it was a pleasant drive but I won't be hanging out to go there again.

      Delete
  2. We gave up on the Home Show and the Garden Show some years ago as they became so commercial. I might have liked seeing gadgets though. The clue to where I live is in my blog header photo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't want to go but Himself did (no idea why). I shall peruse your header more carefully

      Delete
  3. You had a great day by the sounds of it. It is so nice being set free, isn't it. Gadgets gave up on those a long time ago. They always seem to work perfectly when being demonstrated but, at home...nah.
    Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pat, I think we have bought some crappy gadget every time we go there. I have no idea how many window cleaning things we have. We never learn.

      Delete
  4. I haven't been to a home show for years either. I remember when I was a kid my parents taking us to trailer shows, all the latest camping trailers. My brother and I loved opening all the cabinets to see what there was.

    I had to look up Melbourne as I wasn't sure where it was in Australia, now I know. I have a friend who lives in Adelaide.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The tiny houses were like camping vehicles without wheels! Very interesting and great if you need one, I guess. Adelaide is a couple of day's drive from Melbourne. Or one day if you get up super early and don't stop!

      Delete
  5. We used to go to the Home Show in Adelaide until it got a bit samey every year. In those days it was all spas. We already had a 1970s spa that had come with the house and didn't want so were totally uninterested. I know what you mean about the gadgets. I don't think I've ever used that telescoping ceiling duster. Or the pumpkin peeler.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol. And the spanish garlic plate. And the avocado peeler and slicer. The list goes on!

      Delete