All that is about to change.
Today I had my style consultation and what an eye-opener.
It was very, very confronting but liberating as well.
Imogen asked me to write a few words to descibe what I felt my clothes say about me. "Middle-aged, frumpy, unworthy and uninteresting". And what I would like them to say about me? "Confident, attractive, elegant and youthful". Youthful doesn't mean mutton dressed as lamb. If anything I've always been lamb dressed as mutton!
We then went through a whole series of exercises that discovered my personal style (classic, relaxed and feminine with some creativity), face shape, body shape and proportions. She showed me how to direct attention away from the unwanted bits and how to highlight those areas I want people to notice. She gave me tips on how to wear jewellery, what patterns to look for, the weight of fabric to wear, the lengths of skirts and pants. It was awesome.
I now have to put aside a day to go through the very depleted wardrobe and deplete it further! Then I'm going to book two or three hours of shopping with Imogen to replenish the wardrobe. I plan to go out by myself first and try on some clothes to see if I have grasped what she has taught me.
There is a little down side to all of this and that is Himself. He was the one who suggested I do this and has shown great interest in it all. Today he was telling me about a 'new' exercise concept (basically interval training) which sheds weight more effectively than just walking. I know that I am overweight and have let myself become dowdy and boring and I know that he has my happiness and best interests at heart but sometimes I feel that I'm not good enough for him at the moment. I know this isn't true and is just a manifestation of my poor self image but it is my perception at times.
Anyway. I am at the beginning of a new lease of life. I turned 50 last year and it's time I started to accept that I am entitled to be happy and to look my best and that's not vanity or selfishness.
Another interesting thing that came out of today was my desire for some creativity in my life. When I was younger I used to sew. I've dabbled in applique and fabric painting. I've cross-stitched. I did a design and pattern making course! I've baked. I've tried my hand at painting. When I was still in my teens I wrote poetry (didn't we all?!). Part of today's assessment was to ask what my goals were (remembering that a lot of women that use Imogen are professionals looking to advance their careers) and the only thing I could come up with was a career change. As we continued to chat and go through the consultation it dawned on me that I am quite dissatisfied with my life. I don't necessarily think that it's all work related but more that there is something central lacking in my life. I am no longer a hands on mother and I no longer have an outlet for my creative side. I have no real hobbies (reading is for relaxation and 'downtime' and the internet is a bloody waste of time!). I don't exercise at the moment. Himself and I don't have friends - we don't entertain other than immediate family and the Mermaid who is so close she may as well be family. I'm not complaining, mind. I am just realising that I need more in my life and it's not just my job. Indeed, if I can find other outlets my job may become more pleasant as it won't take such a central position in my life.
So it wasn't just a clothes makeover! It's turning into a Me makeover! And I will be more than happy to engage Imogen over the years as I age and change to ensure that I will continue to look my best.
But first I have to tackle that wardrobe.
sounds like your are finding yourself again.
ReplyDeletethe new interval training can be done while walking, 8 seconds fast walking then 12 relaxed pace for 20 mins means you only have to go walking for 20 mins rather than 40 Might look into this one eventually :-)
When you buy the new clothes, will you take some pictures?
ReplyDeleteHi there,
ReplyDeleteI've never commented before, but you sound like you're in a similar place to me. I turn 50 this year, my husband and I really only socialize with each other (apart from family), I'm overweight and feel like I want more to my life - that it's passing by too quickly and I should take steps to make it better/more memorable. I love the idea of the make-over and applaud you for taking the steps to make some changes. Cheers, Kay