Tuesday, 16 January 2007

I'm cool

Many years ago (over 20) I had my 'colours' done. I was told I was a Spring. I was 'warm'. I should wear bright clear colours like apricot and spring green. And my makeup should be warm. And my hair colour should be warm - no ash blonde tips for me, golden all the way. Sometimes I was pleased with how I looked but more often I wasn't. I just thought I was unattractive ('ugly' was the word I used with the Mermaid today. She laughed at me).

As the years have gone by and I have aged somewhat, things are not what they were. And the 'science' of colour has improved.

Today the style consultant came to my house and, as part one of Merlot's magnificent makeover, she did my colours. And what a difference!!! I have been wearing the wrong colours for too long and my makeup ... well, the less said about that the better. When she draped the 'right' colours around my neck my eyes lit up, the dark rings receded, the wrinkles lessened and my skin glowed. With the wrong colours I looked sallow, tired, older and my eyes were dull. With the right makeup I looked natural rather than tired. I've never been a big makeup wearer. Partly because I never learned how and partly because ... well, really because I never knew how. She showed me how to makeup my deepset eyes so they look less so. Where to put blush so that my face looks less square (and fat). And my hair. My god! After we did the makeup session things didn't look quite right until I covered up my hair and wow!, what an amazing difference. I have made an appointment to get the colour changed on Saturday and will get my hair trimmed as to my stylist's (hee ... I have a stylist) recommendation. Which isn't vastly different to how I wear it anyway which is good. But I think the colour is going to make an incredible difference. And to be fair to my hairdresser, she has often tried to direct me towards more ash colours and I have always refused ... cos I need WARM!

Next week I have to show her some outfits that I don't like but don't know why. Try my entire wardrobe! And then a couple of weeks after that I hope to go shopping with her.

Today was also Day 2 on the WWOL programme and, I must admit, so far so good. OK, I know it's only day 2!! It's been so hot and I was busy with the style consultant that I didn't even think about lunch. I know a lot of diets say you have to eat at regular intervals but the Core plan in WW gets you to think about hunger levels before you eat and I really want to learn when I'm hungry as opposed to eating because of the clock. This is always difficult at work as we have our breaks at certain times but I can at least identify the level of my hunger. I made myself a banana smoothie at about 4.00pm which was lunch and have just snacked on some celery and carrots sticks with salsa. Dinner will be a salad but not for a while as it's still so hot.

Apparantly there has been a huge power outage across a lot of Melbourne as bushfires have burnt the lines that top our supplies up from NSW when demands are high. Which they are today because of the heat. So far we aren't affected but the roads are chaotic and Two and Three are out there somewhere. The minimum tonight is forecast to be 25degrees C. (That's nearly 80 degrees F, I think). And there are thunderstorms around so it will be muggy. Oh joy.

It's a Tuesday and we live in an even numbered house so I can water the garden between 8 and 10 tonight. It will be very grateful.

If anyone is interested in a style consultation you can google them (as we did). I am going through a company called BeSpoke Image. And I can recommend her very highly. She made me feel relaxed and comfortable and certainly knows her stuff. As to the cost? Well, they vary according to the company and also the services you want (I need a lot of help!) but when I think of how much money I have spent on clothes over the years that just haven't worked and often been tossed out hardly worn, then any money spent to ensure that I will not make those mistakes again, and will feel good about myself, is an investment. I won't mind spending a bit more on good quality clothes if I know I'll wear them and look good. And carrying all this extra weight makes it even harder for me to choose what suits me as I tend to want to cover up in baggy t-shirts which is never a good look.

Back to work tomorrow. I hope the airconditioning is working! We are moving our unit (the medical unit, not the airconditioning unit) for renovations and we have no patients tomorrow but will spend the day clearing everything out and moving it down the corridor to our new, temporary, cramped home!! But it will be worth it when we move back. No more space per se but better use of what we have.

I'd better get my washing in in case we get hail with the possible thunderstorm.

Catch you tomorrow.....

1 comment:

  1. I think it's awesome that you are doing this.

    ReplyDelete