We have had good rain for the past couple of days. Not nearly enough to consider the drought broken but a welcome relief for our parched gardens. You can almost hear the plants sighing with pleasure and wriggling their toes in the damp earth. I hope that the rain is falling in the catchment areas and on the bush fires.
The new work environment is proving to be challenging but we will cope. Thursday was really busy and wasn't helped by my allocated patients turning up to have procedures done for which they had been booked but not entered on our running sheet and therefore not enough time allocated. I left work an hour later than I should have but that was OK. We got through the day. Friday was less busy but had it's own stresses. I consider it the height of rudeness to interrupt someone when they are having a conversation and take over that conversation. It happened to me twice yesterday and the same person was the culprit on both occasions.
Last night Himself and I went to the pub for dinner. With all the dramas of the past few weeks and with Himself spending more time in Sydney, I'm aware that we need to spend time together and sitting down in a restaurant ensures conversation. I had a delicious salad and we shared a bottle of wine. I had another couple of glasses while we fed the ravenous pokies and then I had some more when we got home and vegged out infront of the telly. And then I made a platter of cheese and biscuits.
I came across a lovely quote on a blog that I found by following links from another blog (I think it's (re)modelling Clay, or something very similar and I think I found it from beebeejaybee who comments here *waving hello* .... I like to attribute words where I can so if I'm wrong let me know). Anyway, this blogger wrote in relation to his weight loss and food something along the lines of it being not about saying 'no' but about saying 'when'. This really struck a chord with me as I have always been the type who denies herself and then flips out. So, yes, last night I ate a few things that aren't on the Core plan of WW and I didn't count the points. And guess what. The sky didn't fall in and because of this refreshing approach (well, for me it is!) I was able to eat well today without feeling that I had blown everything. Tonight we are having a family roast. All the boys are home. And I'll have a few wines but I have cut up some watermelon and that will be dessert rather than chocolate or apple pie or stickydate pudding. And the chippies can stay in their packet. They aren't calling me at all.
Two has found work! It's back in fast food which he didn't want to do but hell, it's a start and he's grateful.
It's my mother's 79th birthday today so we bought her a book and popped in this afternoon. She thought I'd forgotten. They both have Big birthdays next year. Mum turns 80 and Dad turns 90. I hope they make it. And I noticed that my mother has finally stopped dyeing her hair and pretending it's natural!! Give it another couple of months and haircuts and I'll be interested to see what shade of grey/white she is. Or is it possible to still have vibrant colour in one's hair in one's late 70's. Please tell me if I have been uncharitable.
Tomorrow Himself and I are going to friends for a bbq. The female part of this couple is a step relative of Himself's and I have known her for a long time. I was matron of honour at her first wedding. The last time we had a bbqs over there her first husband was in charge of the meal and they were awful! Greasy, cheap cuts of meat. (Why do people think that it's OK to cook cheap cuts of meat on a bbq. It should be the opposite. When good cuts are bbq'd they are bloody marvellous but the ubiquitous lamb chump chops, pulverised blade steak and hamburgers made with hamburger mince are just godawful.) It will be interesting to see if her new partner is any better at bbqing but I doubt the quality of meat will have improved. This is someone who cooks magnificent meals in her kitchen, by the way.
Himself is back to Sydney on Monday morning and will be home on Thursday afternoon. Friday is a holiday (Australia Day).
I went to the hairdresser today. I was due for a trim and needed to take the gold out of my highlights. Although the depth of colour hasn't changed, the warmth has. It's now cooler and I can't get over the difference. Even Jane (my hairdresser) was impressed. Next time I go back she's going to put some ash tips in and then we'll take it from there.
Yummy smells are drifting through the house, the boys are all home (albeit in different rooms, but hey! they're under one roof!) and it's still raining. All is good in my world.
The "when" vs."no" sounds sensible to me. I like that.
ReplyDeleteI'm still trying to figure out why people insist on cooking all of the goodness out of the meat, still mooing for me, running around the plate is even better,
ReplyDeleteas long as it dosen't oink or cluck, those two must be cooked well
looking forward to Lamb chops for australia day